المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : A serious Problem With Our Students

postgraduate
27-03-2012, 01:32 AM
It seems that many students may have a trouble when it comes to talk about how to form ,write or even try to say a grammatical sentence in English. I figured it out when most of my students always say this 'But teacher we have many vocabs and we know a lot of words ,but the problem is that we can't talk or write properly ' .So , the problem here is not with the words . That's what I found out through their inquiries and through what they said about the problems which would face them . So to get those inquiries solved ,I started saying this .
In English language every sentence has TWO verbs . 1 . Auxiliary verb( Helping verb) 2 . Main Verb
Before explaining that ,let's see the main structure of the English sentence . The sentence in English must have SUBJECT + VERB and may have an OBJECT
I actually tried to clarify that through different sentences which express different tenses as the following :
Example 1: , Ali is reading a book now .
Example 2 : My brother likes swimming so much .
Example 3 : She cleaned the room well .
Example 4 : I have already done my homework .
Example 5: He will send a picture to me .
Example 6 : They had finished their work before they came .
Example 7: I can read quickly

In Example1 , The helping verb is ( is) while (reading) is the main verb .
In Example2 , The helping verb is ( does) while (likes ) is the main verb .
In Example3 , The helping verb is ( did) while (cleaned) is the main verb .
In Example4 , The helping verb is ( have) while (done) is the main verb .
In Example5 , The helping verb is ( will) while (send) is the main verb .
In Example6 , The helping verb is ( had) while (finished) is the main verb .
In Example7 , The helping verb is ( can) while (read) is the main verb .
Note :
By the End of the lesson which I assigned for their inquiries ,I made sure that my students had recognized the importance of HELPING verbs in forming Yes-No questions and Wh-questions . They also had realized that the sentence in English may have no OBJECT if the verb is Intransitive . Besides that , the helping verb may not be shown as for does and did and we can figure it out throgh the main verb of the sentence . If you have any comments brothers and sisters ,they are for sure WELCOME .

أستاذ فوق المحك
04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
you are for sure an excellent teacher

Dr_subahi
05-04-2012, 08:21 PM
First of all thanks for reminding us with these information
Second the problem it does not seem with our students , it seems with the way that English is presented with.
You know if we have chances to practise English in our daily life, you will not find today's problem with English
Anyway we - who are in the field- will keep trying with the help of Allah to solve this problem
thanks again

Path Tracker
05-04-2012, 09:13 PM
In English language every sentence has TWO verbs . 1 . Auxiliary verb( Helping verb) 2 . Main Verb
OMG!
Before explaining that ,l English must have SUBJECT + VERB and may
In Example1 , The helping verb is ( is) while (reading) is the main verb .
OK

In Example2 , The helping verb is ( does) while (likes ) is the main verb .
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]WHERE IS THE [U]hv ?

postgraduate
06-04-2012, 01:33 AM
أستاذ فوق المحك

Thanks dear for this cute compliment . Your being here is welcome . I am delighted for that

postgraduate
06-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Dr_subahi

I really appreciate what you have added . Yes ,brother the serious problem as you have noted in your kind comment is with the way English is presented .I completely agree with you .Besides that we do not have the chance to practice what we have learned . Gorgeous note brother . May Allah bless you .

postgraduate
06-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Path Tracker

It seems that you are wondering about where the (HV) is in sentence No.2 which is (Does) .Here is an explanation for your inquiry .

In sentences that express the past tense and the present tense , the helping verb does not appear . It only appears in interrogative and negative statements as the following :
Ali plays football .

If we turn the above sentence into a yes-No question ,it may become like this : Does Ali play football ? and if we turn the same sentence into a wh-question, it will be like this : What does Ali do ?
And even if we want to change it into negative ,it will appear like " Ali does not play football . "
That is when the sentence is in the present simple form .Note: This only occurs when the subject is (He –She or It ) but with other pronouns such as (I –We –They and you) The helping verb is (Do) as in :
I play football
The helping verb is( do) and again it does not appear in affirmative statement ,it only appears in negative and interrogative as : I do not play football (negative ) and What do you play ? (interrogative )

The same thing happens in the simple past ( But with all pronouns )
I watched tv last night .
In the above sentence ,the helping verb is not there ,but we have some clues that indicate it . The suffix (ed) at the end of the main verb indicates that the helping verb is hidden .It is (Did) . It appears only with negative and interrogative as :
I did not watch tv last night . (negative )
Did you watch tv last night ? (interrogative )
I wish I was clear with this . Thanks anyway for passing by . Appreciated

Beauty
06-04-2012, 01:44 AM
thanx for this great effort postgraduate

MOHAMMEDSALEH
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Absolutely amazing
Bless you

جارك
06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
thank you
very much

Path Tracker
07-04-2012, 09:47 PM
OMG

It seems that you are wondering about where the (HV) is in sentence No.2 which is (Does) .Here is an explanation for your inquiry .

In sentences that express the past tense and the present tense , the helping verb does not appear . It only appears in interrogative and negative statements as the following :
Ali plays football

I'M A TEACHER BROT/SIS ! TALKING ABOUT TEACHERS ( NOT ONLY STUDENTS ) , MANY OFTHEM STILL STRUGGLING WITH LANGUAGE USAGE - I MEAN SYNTAX.

U NEED A PROOF ... SCAN MANY ARTICLES AROUND INCLUDING URS , THERE R MOSTLY SILLY MISTAKES THAT TEACHERS SHOULDN'T COMMET .
WHAT I MEANT BY FOLLOWING UR ARTICLE ( WHICH I LIKE) IS TO SAY UR GENERALIZATION IS NOT TRUE ]

NOT EVERY ENG SENTENCE HAS A HV , UNLESS IT'S NEGATIVE OR IN THE FORM OF A QUES. THAT'S TRUE ... SUPPOSE THAT U TOLD UR STUDENTS THAT every Eng. sentence has a hv ; I CAN'T REALLY IMAGINE HOW WOULD THEY MAKE EXAMPLES ! IF THE ARTICLE IS MAINLY ADDRESSED 2 TEACHERS , STILL UR GENERALIZATION DOESN'T MAKE SENSE !

AGIN ... PLEASED 2 PASS BY
REGARDS

postgraduate
07-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Beauty

You are welcome . Thanks alot for your kind passing by

postgraduate
07-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Mohammed Saleh

Thanks brother for being here . Really appreciated for you

postgraduate
07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
جارك

You are welcome

postgraduate
07-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Path Tracker

First of all ,I 'd like to thank you for your interest
Then ,I do not exactly get what you mean by GENERALIZATION .I wish if you gave us some EXAMPLES to make it clear .

This topic that I tried to write about expresses a problem with my students ONLY .So ,I am not talking generally .I am talking about something specific with my students which is not necessary to happen or occur with any other students .However ,I was hoping to share with me your OWN problems with your students as a way of finding out some good tips which would work out and be helpful to make our students overcome such problems ..
Thank you so much for your interest and coming back again to my browser .Really appreciated for you

P.S

I still insist that every Eng.sentence must have a helping verb UNLESS you prove the opposite

أستاذ فوق المحك
11-04-2012, 12:40 AM

Helping verbs in English sentences are covert. They appear in sentences mostly to assure the occurrence of something. Turning the sentence into a question proves the availability of the helping verb in sentences.