المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : The mayonnaise Jar

befor THE after
10-05-2005, 04:00 PM
[align=left]Hello guys , what' up ? doing well , hope so ….

When I was at England last summer taking a course in English I had a talk with my teacher telling her about my problems with TIME. I told her that I cant really mange my time between my family, college, friends, sport and some little time with my self ….

She said that this problem is very common but what I need is to know what's more important and what should get much time …

Then, she gave this little story to read and try to benefit from it …

I'm afraid I don’t have her Author …

THE MAYONNAISE JAR

There once was a philosophy professor who was discussing with his class the meaning of life, and one day he brought into class a large empty mayonnaise jar. As the class watched, the professor filled the mayonnaise jar with golf balls, and after he put in about 5 or 6, the jar was full and would hold no more. The professor held the jar up to the class and asked the class if they thought the jar was full and they agreed no more golf balls would fit in the mayonnaise jar. The professor then took out a bag of pebbles and promptly poured the pebbles into the mayonnaise jar, filling it to the top, and then holding it up for the class to inspect the contents. The class again agreed that the jar was then full of pebbles and golf balls. The professor then took out a bag of sand, poured the bag of sand into the mayonnaise jar, filling it to the top. The class once again examined the jar and concluded that no more sand could fit into the jar. The professor then took out two cups of coffee and poured each cup into the mayonnaise jar, filling it to the top with coffee. The class clamored that the jar was now completely full and could hold no more. The professor then said to the class, “Life is like this mayonnaise jar – you can only fit so much in it. The important things are represented by the golf balls, so be mindful of what is most important to you.” “The pebbles in the jar,” he said, “represent those things that are less important – those things that might be nice to do, but are not essential to the core of your life. The sand represents those things that are really unimportant. You might spend your time on some grains of sand but by in large, they are unimportant to you.”

There have been many interpretations to this story, but I would like to offer two for you to contemplate today as we start this new academic year and engage in a new beginning.

Spend some time identifying what your golf balls are, that is, what things are most important to you – is it family and friends, is it getting your degree? You only have 5 or 6 golf balls that you can juggle in life, so select carefully and wisely, and think hard about what are the most important things in your life. And, when you identify those things, then focus your energies on what is most important in your life. Be equally mindful of the pebbles in your life. To be sure, you cannot spend your time and energy on all of the pebbles – identify which ones you’d like to spend some time on and then commit yourself to that. As for the sand grains in your life, don’t worry about them, they will take care of themselves. They are not important to you and you needn’t fret over them or spend your time and energy on them. Do not squander your time on the sand grains.

Another lesson from this story that I ask you to contemplate is that even when you are focused on the most important things in your life, your life is not completely full; there is always room for some other things. You might want to make extra time for a friend, you might want to give back to your community by performing some community service act, you might want to read a particular book, or spend time learning a sport or playing a musical instrument – there is always a little room that you can make in your life for at least a few pebbles along the way, but pick and choose carefully as your time is limited and precious.

We, in the academic community, have a great privilege and that privilege is each year we have the opportunity to begin anew with the new academic year. This new beginning offers new possibilities for each of us and so, as you begin this academic year think about the professor and focus on the important things in your life, choose how you spend your time and spend your time wisely. Don’t expend your time on the sand grains, and, oh, yes, the coffee. The students asked the professor, “Well, what does the coffee represent?” And, the professor replied, “There is always time to have a cup of coffee with a friend.”[/center]

Instigator
11-05-2005, 02:23 PM
.That's so wonderful and wise short story

.I agree with you brother that spending time is very important

Thank you so much brother

.So, carry on, please

.If don't have the time, don't do the crime

befor THE after
11-05-2005, 05:38 PM
MY PLEASURE Instigator

TNX

Abo Lama
11-05-2005, 07:50 PM
before the after

thank u 4 ur nice story

keep on plz

befor THE after
11-05-2005, 08:01 PM
TNX
ABU LMA

ابوعلي
12-05-2005, 03:33 AM
good philosophy
for time management

thanks my friend

keep on

زهرة وفى
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
FRANKLY, THANK YOU
agood idea
that we must think about the life

i wish you happy and property in your life

befor THE after
12-05-2005, 04:14 PM
good philosophy
for time management

thanks my friend

keep on

TNX ABU ALI
but i have this feeling which forces me to................... to...........to

i will tell you when i see you , i guess it's better

befor THE after
12-05-2005, 04:16 PM
FRANKLY, THANK YOU
agood idea
that we must think about the life

i wish you happy and property in your life

FRANKLY, YOU ARE MOST WELCOMED

TNX

اسيــ حبه ــرة
13-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks before THE after

ur topics always gr8.... so keep on Brother

http://boyara.8k.com/smail/bo-yara%28123%29%20.gif I waste my time in Saudi English http://boyara.8k.com/smail/bo-yara%28123%29%20.gif

befor THE after
13-05-2005, 05:31 PM
اسيــ حبه ــرة

TNX SO MUCH SIS

I HOPE I CAN STICK TO THIS

النمور
26-05-2005, 09:55 PM
wonderful

but please be back

we all are waiting

النمور
19-06-2005, 09:11 PM