المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : to my deaar and loving husband

manal232
11-01-2008, 12:22 AM
"To My Dear and Loving Husband"
by Anne Bradstreet

[CENTER]If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers cannot quench
Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay
The heavens reward thee
manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persever
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

manal232
11-01-2008, 12:29 AM
(

1) Note that each of the first three lines begins with “If”—a good example of anaphora. What is the effect of this repetition? Does it undermine the certainty that other lines seem to express? Note that it is further emphasized by breaking the regular iambic rhythm.
(2) Scan the meter of this line, marking the accented syolables, and note its irregulaity. What words are emphasized by the change? Look for the same metric “disruption” in following lines.
(3) To whom is this poem addressed? If just her husband, why does she address "ye women" here? Is she speaking to both? Or is this a private poem, probably not meant for publication? It was not published for many years.
(4) Even by 1650 (not long before she wrote the poem), British adventurers had not given up their hope that there was a shortcut to the riches of the Indies in America. This dream, expressed frequently in Virginia, was rarely mentioned by the Puritans who had more spiritual purposes in mind. However it is interesting that she should make this particular comparison, for she certainly knew of these golden hopes--and their disappointment. Note how she uses the imagery of physical wealth and ownership to represent their emotional love, and its contrast with the spiritual element at the end of their poem.
(5) To put out, as a fire; to satisfy a thirst; to suppress, inhibit. What does this image suggest about her feelings for him?
(6) Ought means both nothing and expression of duty. These are very different meanings. Which is she using here? Could she be using both?
(7) To compensate, pay for, return in kind, repay. Consider these three metaphors, and what she is using them to say. Also note that this word does not fit the rhyme scheme. What effect does that have?
(8) Why should she want to "repay" if they two are truly one?
(9) Many times, a great deal; marked by diversity or variety
(10) To continue. At the time, "persevere" is pronounced so that it rhymed with "ever" and, perhaps more significantly here, "sever."
What does this paradox mean? How should they live now, as lovers, if they are to live and love forever? How does this tie in with their Puritan beliefs in predestination? Note the extra syllable in these final two lines. What is its effect?

Abo Lama
17-01-2008, 02:10 AM
manal232

thanx alot dear sister

keep on plz