المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : verbs used as adjectives

HaMs
25-08-2005, 09:58 AM
[align=left]Past Participles and Present Participles used as adjectives

would u like to know the difference between the adjectives ending in -ed and -ing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ed and -ing are also stuck onto verbs, and they connote when or how the action takes place. Adding '-ed' makes a lot of verbs past tense, and it also creates the participle for perfect tenses: walk, walked, have walked. What you end up with is a sense of completed action. So, an adjective ending in '-ed' is really a participle used as an adjective, and it, too, implies completed action.

Ex. A washed car is clean. -->The act of washing happened in the past and has been completed. The car is clean as a result. The adjective 'washed' is the participal of the verb 'wash'.

Adding '-ing' makes a verb progressive, meaning that the action is ongoing and incomplete: am walking, was walking, have been walking, etc. When a verb with an '-ing' ending is used as an adjective, it also implies ongoing and incomplete action.

In addition to what said, with most verbs, -ing and -ed
adjectives show whether the noun is the agent or receiver of the action expressed by the participle, which means they show two completely different situations.
"A frightening animal" is very different from "a frightened animal". Yet, neither is more 'complete' than the other. They are just different.

"A frightening animal" is an animal that will frighten you. The animal is the 'agent' or 'doer' (so to speak) of the action.
"A frightened animal" is one that has been frightened by someone/something else. In this case, the animal is the 'receiver' of the action expressed by the participle (or 'participial', as these adjectives are also called).

Other examples:
"an interesting film" - "an interested look on her face"
"an amusing joke" - "an amused audience"
"surprising news" - "a surprised smile" [/center]

with love

Instigator
25-08-2005, 11:18 AM
,Dear sister Um Yazan
.that is really a wonderful post
You are refreshing my mind
.with useful information

.Thanks a lot for your great efforts
.May Allah bless and reward you

.Keep it up

ميس
26-08-2005, 04:12 AM
UmYazan&Hamodi
http://www.alamuae.com/gallery/data/thumbnails/32/1453266-b453e7da9873c04a.jpg
THAAAAAAAAAAAANKS
sis 4 ur useful topic
may Allah bless u

اسيــ حبه ــرة
26-08-2005, 06:12 AM
http://www.y1y1.com/hd0/albums/iconsmil/23_5_22[1].gif

WOW

What a lovely topic??

Now I'm going to the 3rd level having more

information from you... you are active and you

amaze us with ur helpful topics..

Thanx sweet heart for all what you done 4 us

ابوعلي
26-08-2005, 09:17 AM
thanks a lot
for sharing these informatoin with us

درة المشـــاعر
26-08-2005, 09:59 AM
http://img.123greetings.com/thumbs/emar_gmarvalentineday/8707-001-01-1047.gif

May Allah bless you sister

زهرة وفى
31-08-2005, 03:05 AM
thanks my sister

you are very incredible

we aregoing to wait you

King's English
06-09-2005, 06:40 PM
thanks for this useful lesson

waiting for more

هبله عنقلنزي
31-10-2005, 03:39 AM
thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo much . you have give me an organized information for my class.