المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : Learn from ur mistakes " grammatical ones" 1

T.Sultan
01-11-2005, 08:35 PM
[align=left]Hi everyone ,

Dear members, I've decided to have an eye out for the members' grammatical mistakes and I've taken into account the possibility that some members may make mistakes due to the fast writing. So, when I correct anyone's mistake , that doesn't mean that the one I corrected his/her mistake is bad in English , so to speak. Moreover, I won't mention in anyway the name of the one who has made a grammatical mistake because my purpose and goal is to learn and not to hunt down others' mistakes for pleasure. Finally, I may commit grammatical mistakes . So, correct my mistakes if I've made any.

The mistakes I've noticed :

- One of the members wrote a sentence like the following :

May Allah enlighten this day with happiness.
The mistake is using the word "enlighten " instead of the word " light". The word "enlighten " means to explain something to someone.

- One of the members wrote a sentence like the following:

Most of members …………. .
The mistake is leaving out the definite article " the " after the preposition " of " . After " most of …. " , we should write " the " immediately after the preposition " of " . The same applies to " of phrases".

The correct sentence must look like this : Most of the members ……… .

I don't like it too.
The mistake is using " too " instead of " either" . We must use " either " with a sentence that is negative while we can use " too " with a sentence that is affirmative.

The correct sentence must look like the following :

I don't like it either. Or

I like it too.

That's all for now . I hope my topic has been of significance and help to you.

If there's any comment , please write it down. I'll be more than glad to answer you back.

Bye for now and happy Eid. [/center]

ميس
01-11-2005, 09:31 PM
http://www.al-wed.com/pic-vb/116.gif

That is really right
thanks my bro 4 raising such
great matter that we all
.unfortunately suffer from
we have to think of our mistakes
Keep it up
.I hope to see more from you
ur sis
http://www.al-wed.com/pic-vb/116.gif

English Lover
02-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Good Work And Perfect Idea Winner 4 Ever Keep Work
And
We Have To Be Careful

Instigator
02-11-2005, 05:58 PM
.Hi, brother Winner4ever

my purpose and goal is to learn

;The correct form is the following
?my purpose and goal are to learn...., isn't it

I think that member is me; Instigator

May Allah enlighten this day with happiness.

.If I am so, let me explain it to you
;In fact, I exactly wrote the following sentence
May the light of friendship bless and
.enlighten this day with happiness
.By the way, I did not make it by my own
.I wrote it because I once read it in a published book

.I would like to explain something to you
.Pay attention to role of the subject and its meaning
?Does it stand as a person, a thing, an animal or a place
.That subject, light, stands as a thing
.So, metaphorically speaking, enlighten is correct

Thanks a lot
Happy Eid

اسيــ حبه ــرة
02-11-2005, 07:42 PM
[align=left]

I don't like it too.
The mistake is using " too " instead of " either" . We must use " either " with a sentence that is negative while we can use " too " with a sentence that is affirmative.

The correct sentence must look like the following :

I don't like it either. Or

I like it too.
[/center]

Hi dear Winner4ever

Oh .. that is wrong ..I didn't know that

By the way, I'm glad that some one had paid attention

to our mistakes .. I really appriciate all your

great efforts .. which you always do here

God bless you and Happy Eid

T.Sultan
02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
[align=left]Hi Instigator,

First of all , I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your notable effort in this forum. Brother, I want you to know one thing about me that is I'm an advocate of grammarians. When I was a student , I got high grades in all the grammar and writing courses. So, rest assured that when I write something , I write it carefully. Brother, when I embark on teaching a new lesson to my students, I write my favorite motto which is " mistakes are made , lessons are learned" on the board and have the students say it chorally.

I call the English language " the language of irregulars" , for it has a lot of contradictions and irregulars. For example, a grammar book tells to comply with a specific rule. At night and while you're watching your favorite movie , you hear the American actor/actress say something that is different to what written in the grammar book you read. This issue has been discussed by a lot of grammarians but they have ended up turning down the other's justification and explanation .

Brother, I'm a teacher and I have a rigid system that I comply with. Such a rigid system makes me careful when writing . Brother, I've written what you've just read because I want everyone to know that I'm a person who looks to others' problems and tries to help.

Finally, I hope you haven't got the impression that I was trying to show off when I posted the topic. I hope my intentions have been crystal clear to everyone.

Brother, as for the sentence " My purpose and goal is to learn" you corrected for me. Brother, the sentence is right and has no mistakes. Friend, we can use a singular verb with phrases that are connected by "and" when we think of them as making up a single item. You can take a look at a grammar book titled "Advanced Grammar in Use " by Martin Hewings , page 52, section B.

Friend, as for the explanation you've provided for the validity of using " enlighten " instead of " light , lighten " , I'm sorry to tell you that I'm not convinced by what you said. You say the subject " light " . Brother, "light " could be treated as a noun or as a verb. The verb "enlighten " means " to give someone information about something so that he/she knows the truth" . You could see the translation of the word in " Oxford". I think you might have mistranslated it or you might have meant the word " lighten". If you still insist on being right , I hope you write any reference that validates your explanation.

Brother Instigator,

I only correct the mistakes that I think most of the members suffer from. I know some members make mistakes undelibrately. When I correct their mistakes , I correct the difficult ones. For example, I don't correct mistakes such as the following: He know me well. I believe that such a mistake could be a typo. But, when a member makes a mistake lsuch as the following : I don't like it too. Here, I should correct his/her mistake which is using " either" instead of " too".

Last but not least , I hope you understand that I really respect every word you wrote . I really like discussing such topics with such a great person like you. I like your writings and I like the way you reply to others' topics. May God make all your dreams come true.

My best wishes and regards.[/center]

T.Sultan
02-11-2005, 11:12 PM
أسيرة حبه

Thank you a million times. I like your participations in this forum. They really reflect how good your writings are and how lovable you are. Please , keep up the good work.

Instigator
04-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Instigator,

.Hi, brother Winner4ever

First of all , I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your notable effort in this forum.

.It is my job as a supervisor
Your sweet words are meant to me
.just like a medal of honor to wear
.Thanks a lot

Brother, I want you to know one thing about me that is I'm an advocate of grammarians. When I was a student , I got high grades in all the grammar and writing courses. So, rest assured that when I write something , I write it carefully.

.You really proved it to me
.That is so good to know about you
.Keep it up this way

Brother, when I embark on teaching a new lesson to my students, I write my favorite motto which is " mistakes are made , lessons are learned" on the board and have the students say it chorally.

.That is nice of you to do with your students

I want everyone to know that I'm a person who looks to others' problems and tries to help.

.Helping others is a good quality to have

Finally, I hope you haven't got the impression that I was trying to show off when I posted the topic.

.Not at all

Brother, as for the sentence " My purpose and goal is to learn" you corrected for me. Brother, the sentence is right and has no mistakes. Friend, we can use a singular verb with phrases that are connected by "and" when we think of them as making up a single item. You can take a look at a grammar book titled "Advanced Grammar in Use " by Martin Hewings , page 52, section B.

.It is a new piece of information to my knowledge
.Thanks a lot for giving the source

Friend, as for the explanation you've provided for the validity of using " enlighten " instead of " light , lighten " , I'm sorry to tell you that I'm not convinced by what you said. You say the subject " light " . Brother, "light " could be treated as a noun or as a verb. The verb "enlighten " means " to give someone information about something so that he/she knows the truth" . You could see the translation of the word in " Oxford". I think you might have mistranslated it or you might have meant the word " lighten". If you still insist on being right,

.I know all of that although I insist on using it
.So, thanks for your additional explanations

I hope you write any reference that validates your explanation.

I tried my best to bring the source to support
.my point of view but I could not do fine it
.Once I get it, I will give it to you, I promise

Last but not least , I hope you understand that I really respect every word you wrote . I really like discussing such topics with such a great person like you. I like your writings and I like the way you reply to others' topics. May God make all your dreams come true.

I really respect and appreciate your nice and
.kind help and words to me and others

With sincere regards
Instigator

T.Sultan
05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Brother, If every forum has a supervisor just like you , that forum will be the number 1 in the whole world. I'm really appreciative of your kindness and I hope I never get you disappointed in me. Please , keep up the good work.

اسيــ حبه ــرة
06-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Hi brother Winner4ever

Brother, If every forum has a supervisor just like you , that forum will be the number 1 in the whole world.

That's why the English Club
is very high.. till it reach the sky
:cool:

I was waiting for the end of the
nice argument between you
and Instigator

May Allah bless you all

Instigator
09-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Brother, If every forum has a supervisor just like you , that forum will be the number 1 in the whole world. I'm really appreciative of your kindness and I hope I never get you disappointed in me. Please , keep up the good work

,Brother Winner4ever
you do not know that I am speechless
.in front of your nice compliments
Words of thanks and appreciations are
.inadequate to say for your great work
.Thanks a lot for being the gentleman you are

That's why the English Club
is very high.. till it reach the sky
I was waiting for the end of the
nice argument between you
and Instigator
May Allah bless you all

,Dear litlle sister Aseerah
you do not know that you always sweeten
.the English club flavour with your sweet posts
That is so sweet and kind of you to say about
.the English Club forum
.Thanks a lot for passing by and comment

,Dears brother Winner4ever and sister Aseerah
your words mean a lot to me and they are
.just like a medal of honor I proudly wear

زهرة وفى
10-11-2005, 01:44 AM
thanks darling

we need like this

espcially I need

i want to learn

روابي نجد
10-11-2005, 05:19 AM
winner 4 ever this is agreat suggestion I have ever read because I want to participate in this forum with my writings
and I need some body correct my grammatical mistakes to improve my language I support your suggestion I am really very happy
finally I Iike to say thank you for your great efforts

T.Sultan
10-11-2005, 09:45 PM
[align=left]زهرة وفى :

Thank you for commenting on my topic. Just ask me about whatever it is you want to know. Thanks again.

روابي نجد :

Thank you. I'll be happy to help you out . Just send me your writings or anything that you want me to correct or help you with. By the way, your writing looks perfect. [/center]