المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : Essays *collection*

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 08:59 PM
alsalam alykum sisters & brothers

here some good essays that I collected from here and there

hope you find it helpful & valuable

Pray for me :smile (35):

Many parents give children a weekly or monthly allowance regardless of their behavior because they

believe an allowance teaches children to be financially responsible. Other parents only give children an

allowance as a reward for completing chores or when they have behaved properly. Explain what you think

parents should do and why.

Starting when I was about eight years old, my parents gave me a list of chores that had to be completed

each week. If I did my chores, I got an allowance, a bit of change that I could use as I pleased. If I didn't

do my chores, I didn't get my allowance. There was no other punishment, but no other punishment was

necessary. That dollar or two a week was all the incentive I needed to help out around the house. Whether

it was the latest Barbie or a six-pack of Hubba Bubba chewing gum, there was always something I wanted

to buy. My parents could always count on me doing my chores.

I think that giving children an allowance for doing chores is a smart parenting move, for it accomplishes

four important goals: It helps ensure that important work gets done around the house; it teaches children

that they need to do their part to make things run smoothly for the whole family; it rewards children in a

realistic, practical way for good behavior; and it helps teach children how to handle money.

I know that some people consider money for chores a form of bribery, and others feel that children should

just do their chores anyway, without the incentive of an allowance. They argue that giving kids money for

doing chores undermines the lesson that they need to help the family and do their part. I can understand

that point of view, and when parents give their children too much money, it does undermine those lessons.

But when the allowance is small, it is simply a modern version of the age-old practice of rewarding good

behavior. Once children reach a certain age, money is an appropriate and effective reward that helps them

learn how to be responsible and how to manage money. They get a sense of what things are worth and

how much they have to save and spend to get what they want. And learning to save in order to purchase a

desired item teaches them patience and helps children better understand the value of hard work.

Giving children money for doing chores is also a good introduction to the reality of the workplace. If they

do the work, they get paid; if they don't do the work, they don't. Extra work can be rewarded with bonuses

and extra praise; poor work may result in a pay cut or demotion.

It's important for parents to find the right amount to give. Too much money may make a child feel like hired

help and will undermine the goal of teaching children to help simply because they are part of a family that

must work together. On the other hand, too little money may make a child feel resentful, as if his or her

work isn't worth anything to the household. What's an appropriate amount? It depends upon the amount of

chores the child is expected to do and the child's age. If your nine-year-old is only expected to clean his or

her room, a dollar a week is probably plenty. If your fourteenyear-old is expected to keep his room clean,

take out the trash, water the plants, and vacuum the house, then ten dollars a week is more appropriate.

Being paid for my chores helped me have a good attitude about housework, taught me how to save money

and spend it wisely, and enabled me to appreciate the hard work my parents did around the house. I'm

really grateful that this was the way my parents chose to handle chores in our household.

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 09:00 PM
More and more farmers and food manufacturers are genetically modifying their crops to reduce

susceptibility to disease, improve flavor, and reduce costs. Do you think genetically modifying foods is a

good idea? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.

A few decades ago, manipulating genes in people, plants, and animals was just science fiction. Today, it

،¯s a reality, and genetic modification may have many positive applications in the future, including the

eradication of many hereditary diseases. But like most scientific and technological advances, the genetic

modification of organisms for our food supply can be as dangerous as it is beneficial. Because of the

potential dangers of this technology, I think genetically altering plants and animals in the food supply is a

practice that should be very tightly controlled and carefully studied before it is an accepted and common

practice. Unfortunately, it may already be too late for that.

Many people don،¯t even realize that many of their foods are genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

GMOs are already prevalent in supermarkets and grocery stores across the country, but manufacturers

are not required to label foods as having been made from GMOs. As a result, millions of Americans

purchase and eat GMOs every day without even knowing it. Yet we don،¯t even know if GMOs are harmful

to our health. We don،¯t really know how GMOs may affect our bodies or our ecosystem. When we mess

with DNA, we may be making changes that have all sorts of dangerous repercussions, including some that

we may not even realize for several generations.

One of the main concerns about GMOs is the unpredictability of the behavior of altered genes and of the

bacteria, plants, and animals that interact with the altered organism. For example, a crop of corn

genetically modified to be less susceptible to a particular insect may take on other unwanted

characteristics due to the change. It may, for example, become more susceptible to another disease, or it

could develop a tougher skin on its kernels, or it could decrease the crop،¯s ability to produce vitamin E.

More frightening is the domino effect of genetically modifying foods. Any change in an organism،¯s DNA

has the potential to affect not only the organism but also anything that feeds off of it, including us. How do

we know how GMOs might affect us on a microscopic, genetic level? We don،¯t know, and can،¯t know,

without years of studies that track all sorts of potential outcomes over several generations.

Another fear is that transferred genes may escape from one organism into another. For example, imagine

that Strain A of sweet peas was altered by adding a gene that would increase its sugar production.

Through cross-pollination, this altered genetic code could enter other strains and slowly (or quickly) infect

the entire sub-species. If the alteration was beneficial, this could be a good thing. But the altered gene

might not act the same way in all varieties, and the change may not be a good thing in the first place,

and/or it may have unintended consequences.

Genetically modifying foods is a practice that has been driven by the desire to make more food available

more quickly and more cheaply than ever before. This attitude puts profit first and consumers and the

environment last, and that is simply dangerous. The agribusiness needs to slow down and stop selling us

GMOs until their safety is certain.

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 09:03 PM
A few decades ago, many families had half a dozen or more children. Nowadays, more and more families

are choosing to have only one or two children. Are smaller families better than larger ones? Why or why

not? State your position and support it with specific reasons and examples.

I grew up in a large family،ھI am the oldest of six،ھand I have many wonderful memories from my childhood.

I am very close to most of my siblings and I treasure my relationships with them. But when I have my own

family someday, it won't be as big as the one I grew up in. As much as my large family was full of love, and

as much as I learned about sharing, giving, and patience, I think having too many kids puts too much

pressure on the parents and the oldest children.

When I think back on my childhood, I remember playing with my siblings or grandparents. I don't remember

spending a whole lot of time with my mother and father. They were always around, but they were always

busy. Although they did their best to spend some quality time with each of us, there was just too much to

do to keep our large family going. My mother was always cooking, cleaning, nursing, changing a diaper,

shopping, or taking someone to baseball practice or a playdate. She was always tired.

My father, on the other hand, was always working. He needed overtime whenever he could get it, and

weekends were always full of projects around the house. He had lots of helpers, of course, but there are

only so many things kids can do. Even when we were able to get away for vacation, Mom and Dad couldn't

really relax, because there were so many kids to look after.

Money was also a constant worry for my family. With so many children, our budget was always tight.

Back-to-school shopping was always a stressful time; we all wanted the latest fashions, but we could only

get a few things. My younger siblings lived on hand-me-downs as much as they could. We shopped at

bargain stores and often got clothes that we didn't really like because they were on sale. Our house

always needed repairs, and there was never enough money to keep up.

Another problem with large families is that the older siblings always end up being babysitters. Like it or not

(and most of the time I didn't like it), I had to watch my younger brothers and sisters. At age six, I could

change a diaper like a pro. I was getting my brothers and sisters dressed, giving them breakfast, helping

them get ready for bed. I learned a lot about sharing, selfsacrifice, and responsibility at an early age, and

these are important character traits that I value highly and want to instill in my children. But I also want to

give them a chance to be children. I don't want them to have so much responsibility at such an early age.

I don't want to give the impression that I didn't have a happy childhood. I most definitely did; I was loved as

much as my parents could love me, and I had wonderful fun with my brothers and sisters. But I always

wanted a little more time with Mom and Dad, and I often resented having so much responsibility. I wished

my mom wasn't always so tired and my dad didn't have to work so much. Because I want to be there more

for my kids, because I want them to be kids throughout their childhood, I plan to have a much smaller

family.

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Is there a book that you feel should be required reading for everyone? Write an essay persuading your

audience to read this book.

Most people know who Frankenstein is،ھor at least they think they do. Because of the way Mary Shelley's

brilliant 1818 novel has been adapted to film, most Americans think that Frankenstein is a towering, scar-

faced monster who brings terror wherever he goes. In Shelley's novel, however, the real monster is Victor

Frankenstein, the scientist who is the monster's creator. In her story of how Victor Frankenstein creates

the monster and what he does after the monster comes to life, Shelley conveys several timeless

messages about the dangers of science, the dangers of isolation, and the importance of being a good

parent. It is a novel that everyone should read.

In the story, Frankenstein, eager for glory, wants to discover the "elixir of life" so that he can have the

power to bring the dead back to life. He wants to create a new race of superhuman beings and wants them

to worship him like a god. He wants to unlock the secrets of nature and use that power for his own selfish

goals. Shelley's novel warns us that we must be careful what we do with science،ھhow we apply the

knowledge we discover. For when Frankenstein does discover the "elixir of life," and when he does create

a superhuman being, he creates a creature that is beyond his control. The creature is more powerful and

more intelligent than Victor Frankenstein, and the creature engineers Frankenstein's demise.

Shelley's novel also warns us about the dangers of isolation. Frankenstein's creation is so revolting and

dangerous in part because Frankenstein works completely alone. He becomes so absorbed with his

project that he completely blocks out family and friends. He stops communicating with others and works

secretly; he does not consult others about his project, partly because he knows that what he is doing is

wrong, partly because he wants all the glory. But because he does not work with others, because he loses

touch with his community of family and friends, he also loses touch with his responsibility to other human

beings. When the creature comes to life, Frankenstein runs away, abandoning his creation even though he

knows the creature might harm others.

This abandonment brings us to the novel's third timeless message: the importance of being a good parent.

Frankenstein creates a living being and then abandons him because he is an "ugly wretch." He totally

ignores his responsibility to the creature, who is born as innocent as a child, even though he is the size of

a giant. The creature is abhorred by everyone he meets, and because no one has ever shown him love,

he learns to hate. And the person he comes to hate most is the father who abandoned him. Shelley's

message is clear: you are responsible for what you create, and if you are a parent, you must love your

child, whatever his or her appearance.

In our age of cloning and genetic engineering, of scattered communities and neighbors who don't know

each other's names, of abandoned children and abusive parents, Shelley's book may have more

importance than ever. It is also a powerful and suspense-filled tale. Will Frankenstein capture the

creature? Will he create a "bride" for the monster? Will Walton, the ship captain who records

Frankenstein's story, learn from Frankenstein's tale? Find out for yourself. Grab a copy of this amazing

novel and enjoy.

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Good habits improve our physical, emotional, and/or financial health. Select one of your good habits and

write an essay persuading readers to make that habit a part of their lives.

When I was fifteen, I wanted to get a job so I could buy a car when I turned sixteen. My father sat me

down at the kitchen table and said, "Excellent. But only on one condition: 10% of every paycheck must go

into a savings account. And you cannot touch that money except in an emergency."

"But Dad," I argued, "If I have to put 10% away, how will I ever save enough money to buy a car?"

"You'll have enough," he replied. "And you'll soon see how important it is to set money aside for savings."

I didn't believe him at the time, and in fact I often resented having to put that 10% in a separate account.

But two years later when the transmission on my car blew, I didn't have to fret about coming up with the

money for repairs. I was able to cover the cost easily and was back on the road in no time. It was then

that I began to see the wisdom of my father's rule, which I adopted as my own. This habit has helped to

give me a secure financial life, and I urge you to make this practice part of your life.

Ten percent of each paycheck may sound like a lot, and if you're on a tight budget to begin with, you might

be thinking, "I just can't afford to do it." In truth, you can't afford not to do it. You never know when you are

going to need an extra $100 or $1,000; life is full of surprises, and lots of them are expensive. You can

afford to do this. In fact, you can't afford not to do this.

As tight as your budget may be, it's important to get started right away. If you are absolutely scraping by

with every last penny going to bills, then start with just 5%, but move up to 10% as soon as you can. If you

earn $500 a week, for example, put $25¨C$50 in your savings account each week. At first, this may mean

clipping coupons, renting a movie instead of going to the theater, or pressing your own shirts instead of

taking them to the cleaner. Think carefully about ways you can save just a few dollars،ھbecause just a few

dollars from each paycheck is all it takes to build up a solid savings account.

The money you save will add up quickly. For example, if your annual salary is $40,000, each year, you

would put $4,000 into your savings account. That still leaves you with $36,000 to cover all of your

expenses. After ten years, you will have saved $40,000, plus interest. And the more money in your

account, the more interest you earn, the larger your emergency fund, the more you can afford to relax later

in your life.

Once you get in the habit of putting 10% of your money into savings, it won't feel like a sacrifice. The 90%

that's left will be your working budget, and you won't even miss that 10% because you won't be used to

spending it. Yet you will know that it is there, ready for an emergency, helping to keep you financially

secure. So take my father's advice, and mine: Put a piece of each paycheck into your savings. It's a habit

that's worth every penny.

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Describe a major environmental problem and what you believe should be done about it.

A major environmental problem, the magnitude of which we are just beginning to realize, is global warming.

When people say that the winters aren't as cold as they used to be, or that there was definitely more snow

in past years, they are correct. In addition to these personal testimonials, there is concrete visual

evidence of global warming. Most noticeable is the depletion of the ice caps. In recent years, glaciers

have been receding in greater amounts than in former years. One only has to visit a national park where

this recession is marked with signs indicating where the glacier reached in a particular year. The visitor

can see how much further away from a particular spot the ice is at the present moment.

When the ice caps, made of fresh water, melt, they change the salinity of the oceans, change the

currents, and change the conditions for survival for myriad species. Additionally, invasive species might

move in, affecting the entire ecosystem. This has a domino effect, as all species are interdependent and

survive according to predictable sources of food and living conditions. A specific example recently

described on an environmental calendar told of the effect of global warming on polar bears. The bears

cannot go out on the melted ice, which is how they get their food. This causes them to lose body fat and

even to be unable to give birth to cubs.

Global warming causes flooding, and because the warming of the earth causes dryness, fires increase.

When speaking of the causes of global warming, some experts say that ice ages followed by warming

have been cyclical throughout the eons and that there is not much that can be done about it. However,

most scientists believe that the actions of humans have speeded up this process. They blame the

increased burning of wood and fossil fuels-oil and coal-on an increasing population needing heat for

warmth and cooking. More energy consumption places carbon dioxide and other pollutants in the

atmosphere. Warm air trapped around the earth has been deemed the greenhouse effect.

While we cannot stop the naturally occurring climate changes, we can try to mitigate the rapid warming by

reducing our use of fossil fuels. Much publicity has been given to the love that Americans have for sports

utility vehicles which burn an inordinate amount of fuel and which are not required for the kind of ordinary

driving done by most owners. There are numerous additional ways in which we can reduce our

dependence on these fuels, ranging from insulating our homes, to lowering the thermostat in winter, and

raising it when we use air conditioning. Perhaps researchers can develop alternate sources of energy.

Presently an automobile is being developed that uses gas initially and then automatically switches to

electricity. Theoretically, this car will be able to run for fifty miles on one gallon of gasoline. Additionally, we

can support the scientific study of the effects of global warming. Perhaps we can predict such things as

where floods will occur or where crops will have difficulty surviving and take steps to overcome these

problems.

One thing is certain. Global warming is a serious environmental problem with ramifications that affect

almost every aspect of life.

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Describe how communication has changed in the last twenty years.

Who could have predicted twenty years ago that communication would change as radically as it has?

Today, communication is instantaneous. No longer do we have to use a pen, pencil, or typewriter to write

a letter. No longer do we have to use a postal service to mail it. No longer do we have to wait for a

response that takes several days. Nor do we have to stay near a telephone or search for a public phone

while traveling. Things have speeded up exponentially.

In the last twenty years we have benefited from tremendous changes in telecommunication. The relatively

simple change to portable phones enabled us to roam around the house while chatting, not limited by the

length of the cord that attaches the receiver to the base of the telephone. Then came the beeper, allowing

us to get a message when away from a telephone. Now, of course, there is the ubiquitous cell phone.

Watch the crowds walking along a sidewalk, and you can't help noticing people purposefully striding along

while talking on their cell phones.

What if we must write a message? We now have e-mail. We send these messages immediately after

typing them on the computer keyboard and never have to go to the Post Office. No more ،°snail mail.،±

Perhaps we have a written copy that must be sent but cannot be conveniently sent via the computer.

Simply dial a phone number, push a few buttons, send a FAX. The copy is transmitted to the receiver at

once. The ability to telecommute is almost like handing the copy to the recipient. What a difference twenty

years has made. Just as most of us could not imagine the speed and ease of communication in the

twenty-first century, we probably cannot anticipate the changes that will occur in the next twenty years.

Perhaps we will be able to send instant messages simply by thinking about them, from one brain to the

brain of the intended recipient.

M.o_o.N
30-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Is reading fiction a waste of time? Why or why not? Explain your answer using specific reasons and

examples to support your position.

Remember the last book that captured your imagination, that transported you to another place and time?

Remember a book that made you fall in love with its characters, made you feel their pain and joy?

Remember a story that taught you an important lesson, that helped you better understand others, make

sense of the human condition? If so, then you can understand why the question, "Is reading fiction a waste

of time?" is such a silly question.

Fiction, unlike a user manual, a magazine article, or newspaper editorial, probably won't offer you any

practical knowledge that you can put to immediate use. It won't inform you of current events or give you

advice on how to cultivate a better garden. It probably won't help you decide which candidate to vote for or

which product to buy. But that certainly doesn't mean it's useless or impractical. Indeed, fiction serves

three important functions for human beings: It helps us be more compassionate to others, it helps us better

understand ourselves, and it cultivates our imaginations. It can also teach us about history, psychology,

even biology and other sciences.

Compassion for others is rooted in understanding and acceptance, and a good story brings us into the

inner world of its characters so that we can understand them. In Toni Morrison's novel The Bluest Eye, for

example, Morrison peels away the layers of her characters' histories piece by piece like an onion until we

see into their core and understand what drives them. They may still do awful things to each other, but she

shows us why they do the things that they do, and we learn that we shouldn't judge others until we

understand their pasts. Their stories are sad and painful, and we learn to love even the outcast Pecola. In

fact, we learn that those outcasts are the ones who need our love the most.

Many stories and novels also help us better understand ourselves. Joseph Conrad's dark and powerful

novel Heart of Darkness helps us see that all of us have a dark side, and that we need to acknowledge

this dark side in order to control it. It makes us question just how civilized we are and indeed what it means

to be civilized in the first place.

Good fiction also cultivates our imagination, which is more important to us than some might think. Without

imagination, we live a sad, empty life. Imagination is central to our emotional health and is a key factor in

our level of intelligence. Facts are one thing; but facts can be of no real use unless coupled with

imagination. Fiction can help us by keeping our imagination fresh and active. In a story like Franz Kafka's

"Metamorphosis," for example, we are asked to imagine that Gregor, the main character, wakes up one

morning and has turned into a giant bug. Crazy? Perhaps. But once we accept this premise and imagine

Gregor as a five-foot long cockroach, we can feel his family's horror and imagine his agony as he finds

himself trapped in his room and abandoned by those he loves.

Is reading fiction a waste of time? That's like asking if laughing is a waste of time. We don't need fiction to

survive, but we do need it to be kinder, more understanding, and more creative human beings.

:lost lady:
01-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Renoa
Thanx a lot sweety
U did a good job
May Allah bless U

البـارع
01-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Renoa
useful collection
may Allah reward you
Note: hope you enlarge the font size