المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice

شمعة أمل 1988
07-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Peace be upon you all …..
First of all , I would like to thank Allah for blessing and helping me to complete this work , although it has been full of obstacles , for other pupils to get benefit from this literary analysis of Shakespeare's The merchant of Venice . As I have faced a lot of troubles in collecting the summary of this play while I was taking Shakespeare and Elizabeth period course , an idea flashed in my mind to type what I have collected, regarding this play , to let other pupils get benefit and to make this play easy as well as possible . My aim is to create a world in which others can be drawn into the play itself . I really ask Allah to accept what I have collected and served to other pupils since I have no other aims . I'd like to dedicate this summary to every honorable faithful pupil who studies hard ,search to get the plain truth . I hope you all to ask Allah to swing me for good .

What is the basis of the hatred between Shylock and Antonio ? Is the hatred justified in both cases or not?

The that Shylock and Antonio shares reflects the relationship between Christians and Jews at that time . Shylock hates Antonio for two reasons . The first hatred is a religious and the second is a professional one . Shylock hates Antonio for his Christianity . Shylock will do business with Christians foe it is profitable for him , but he will never eat , drink or pray with them as these things are against his religious principles . Shylock hates Antonio because he lends people money with free interests so he let Shylock bring down the rate of the interests in Venice . Shylock hates Antonio as he hates his sacred nation , calls him a dog , spits upon him and because Antonio makes fun of Shylock's interests in front of the all merchants . Antonio spoils Shylock's business . Shylock's hatred is not justified because he is a bad person and he deserves all what happens to him . Shylock tries to show himself as a victim but in reality he is a vengeful person . He lists all the wrongs which are done to him by Antonio , and he forgets that he deserves all what happens to him

On the other hand , Antonio hates Shylock because he is a jew . Christians think that jews are responsible for the crucification of Jesus . Antonio also hates Shylock because he is greedy and vengeful . Because Shylock loves money more than anything else or his daughter . All these reasons justify Antonio's hatred to Shylock . Shylock characterizes jews and he proves that he is a greedy , cunning , vengeful one . Antonio characterizes Christians and he proves that he is gentle , loyal and has a nobler ideal of humanity .

Discuss the relationship between Jessica and Shylock . Are we meant to sympathize with her running away with her father's money or not ? what does Jessica think of Shylock's character ?

The relationship that Jessica shares with her father is nearly weak . She is ashamed to her father's child and she feels that she is his daughter by blood not by manners . she lives unhappily with her father . she leads a cloistered life . She is forbidden by her father to join in any merry-making and must not even look out into the street at a procession passing by .

Jessica feels that her house is hell and she hopes to leave it . She is sorry to see Launcelot leaving their house as she is the only one who has relieved the somber atmosphere of house for her . she is well aware by moral code that she should not desert her father , but to become a Christian she must leave home . In the Elizabeth time , being a Christian overrodes all other obligations . Therefore , the deception of her father is seen as a virtue under circumstances . Jessica intends to elope with Lorenzo as it is the sole avenue to marry him and become a Christian . We are meant to sympathize with her running away with her father's money as she is the only heir of her father's money . Jessica is an unlikely daughter of Shylock .

What line of reasoning does the prince of Morocco follow in making his choice of a casket ? How does he justify his choice ?

Each of the caskets has an inscription on the outside to be read . The prince pauses over each casket to guess which contains Portia's portrait . The first casket is made of lead , says , " Who chooses me will give and hazard all he has " . He thinks that lead is surely worthless and deserves nothing . The next casket is made of silver , reads , " Who chooses me will get as much as he deserves " . Over this , the prince hesitates . He concludes that his birth , breeding , fortune , and grace make him deserving of Portia . He passes on the last casket , which is made of gold, and it tells the suitor , " Who chooses me will gain what many men desire". The prince believes that this is the casket that contains the portrait of Portia since the lady is sought by all the world . He concludes that gold is the only metal worthy of being associated with the portrait of Portia . As he opens the casket , he finds a skeleton's head with a message in its eye socket . It reads , " All that glitters is not gold " . He has failed to choose the right casket . Because he concerened with outer appearances and so makes a superficial choice . The death's head and its message underline the impermanence of earthy wealth . It is ironic that this prince makes his choice solely by appearance while he has earlier asked not to make the same mistake . Portia is delighted at his failure . What Portia's father wanted foe her is a husband with a gentle and humble temperament and inner nobility.

What lines of reasoning does the prince of Arragon follow in making his choice of a casket ? How does he justify his choice?

The prince of Arragon passes over the lead casket because it is a common metal . He says that it must be more attractive before he loses everything for it . He refuses the gold casket because he will not choose what is desired by many suitors who come to marry Portia , who are foolish and deived by the outside appearance . He says that those who choose on the basis of eyes they will lose everything and be deceived . When he reads what is written on the silver casket he says that no one should come to marry Portia unless he deserves her . He is blind by the sense of his own worth . He believes that he is great enough to deserve Portia . As a result , he fails the rest of humility . The silver casket that he opens reveals a foolish head , which is a normal symbol and what his pride deserves . The prince feels foolish and quickly leaves.

• What are the inscriptions over the three caskets ?
• What are the conditions regarding the lottery of the casket?
• Why did some of the suitors who come to marry Portia refuse to take part in choosing a casket according to her father's plan?

• The first casket is made of lead , says , " Who chooses me will give and hazard all he has " . The next casket is made of silver , reads , " Who chooses me will get as much as he deserves " . The last casket is made of gold and it tells the suitor , " Who chooses me will gain what many men desire " .

• The conditions regarding the lottery of the casket says that :

If any suitor selects the wrong casket has to promise that :
1. He has to leave immediately without complain .
2. He should not woo another woman .
3. He should not unfold to anyone which casket he has chosen .

• Some of Portia's suitors have decided to return to return home without guessing as they have lost hopes of winning Portia . The conditions regarding the lottery of the casket are difficult to be followed if these

• suitors select the wrong casket , since these conditions are considered as commitments . Each of Portia's suitor fits into the English stereotype of various nationalities .

What is the significance of the conversation between Tubal and Shylock ? What aspects of Shylock's character are revealed through this talk ?

Tubal is a Jewish merchant and Shylock asks him if he has found Jessica . When Tubal answers him negatively , Shylock raves about his lost fortune and the money he is spending in trying to locate Jessica . Tubal states that one of Antonio's ships has been definitely lost . When Antonio hears the news he becomes happy and determines to take his pound of flesh from Antonio when he fails to repay his debt on time . He says that Antonio's flesh will feed his revenge , but Jessica's news compete with his delight in the news of Antonio .

Tubal plays on Shylock's greed . He raises Shylock's spirits and deflates them carefully , by alternating his references first to Antonio and then to Jessica , and showing Shylock how his daughter has given a ring to a merchant for a monkey . Tubal is interested in torturing Antonio . This indicates that the relationship among the Jews themselves is not a close one and indicates that Shylock is an outsider even amongst the Jews .

Why did the prince of Morocco and the prince of Arragon fail to choose the right casket while Bassanio succeed in choosing the right one?

Portia worries about Bassanio choosing the right casket so she tells Bassanio to wait for a few days before choosing one of the caskets because if he chooses the wrong casket , she will lose him forever . The eager Bassanio cannot bear to wait any longer . To ease the tension , Portia asks for a music to be played , each line of the song ends in a word that rhymes with lead . Portia is trying to help Bassanio in his choice , since she cannot directly help him and betrays her father's will .

In truth , Bassanio with his noble nature , needs no help in making the right decision . Bassanio recognizes that ugliness is often concealed by outer beauty and he refuses to be deceived by the outside appearances , loke those women who appear beautiful but in reality they are not so as they cosmetics . Bassanio rejects the gold casket , for he sees gold as deceitful and rejaects the silver casket because it is a sumbolic of money . He chooses the lead casket because he knows that true worth is often found beneath false appearances . Bassanio says that if the person follows his heart he will succeed . As a result , he rejects the gold and silver casket and chooses the lead one because its simple shape indicates that it hides a great thing .

Analyse Portia's speech on " Mercy" mentioning the impact of this speech on Shylock .

Portia disguised as a young doctor of law . She tells Shylock that he is within his legal rights , but he has to show mercy . For mercy blesses the one who gives it as well as the one who receives it . Any person cannot be forced to show mercy , because it comes naturally from the heart . One of the best qualities of mercy when it is shown from one who has power to one who has nothing . Mercy is one of God's qualities . If we ask God foe mercy and he insists on justice without mercy , most of us will be punished . As we ask God for mercy , we have also to show mercy . Mecy for a king is better than the crown that he wears . Portia speaks so much to allow some mercy , if Shylock insists on justice because the law has no choice but to take the pound of flesh . Shylock is not affected by Portia's speech and doesn't agree to change his mind . He insists to take his pound of flesh and he refuses to take the debt twenty times over . This proves that he is a hard-hearted , greedy , and revengeful person . He values money over his daughter and he values revenge over both .

Shakespeare in his famous " Trial scene " brings the play to its climax and reveals Portia as a skilful and cunning judge .Give an accurate account of the important developments in the trial of the merchant and how she finally reverses all the expectations of the Jew into despair .

Portia asks Shylock to have a surgeon at hand to prevent Antonio from bleeding to death . Shylock refuses even this concession , since it is not stated in the bond . As Shylock prepares to cut , Portia warns him that only a pound of flesh assigned tohim not a little more or a little less and he is not allowed to shed a single drop of blood . If he sheds one drop of Christian blood , then all his property will be confiscated by the state of Venice . Shylock is shocked as he knows that is impossible to to cut away
flesh without the loss of blood . Shylock reverses his stand and asks for
three times the debt instead . Portia stops Bassanio from giving Shylock the money and she insists that Shylock cut a bound of flesh . If it is a little more or a little less , then Shylock will be punished . Portia cites a law of Venice that says is an alien plots to take a Venetian life by direct or indirect attempts , half his will be given to the citizen while the other half will belong to the state . Moreover the life of the offen is at the mercy of the Duke .

Shylock says that taking his goods is equal to take his life . To show Shylock the difference between Christians and Jews , the Duke forgives him for his life . Antonio asks the Duke to allow Shylock to keep half of his good ( that will go to Antonio ) if he becomes a Christian and leaves all his goods to Lorenzo and Jessica in his will at his death . Shylock agrees to do these things . He loves money More than religion or anything else .

Read the following quotation that is spoken by Gratiano then answer the question below:
" O be thou damnd , inexecrable dog
And for thy life let justice be accus'd;
Thou almost mak'st me waver in my faith,
To hold opinion with Pythagoras, "
1. Who was Pythagoras ? What was his opinion that is referred to here?
2. Explain the passage in your own words .
3. What was of the abused person to these words?
"4"][SIZE="4"]
1) Pythagors is a Greek philosopher who thinks that whenever animals die , their souls go to the human beings . Gratanio says that that Shylock's soul belongs to the soul of a wolf that killed so many people . After the wolf had died , his soul ran away and enterd Shylock's soul .

2) Gratiano likens Shylock to an inexecrable dog . And he blames the justice to let one like Shylock to be alive . What Gratiano says about Shylok is a reaction because Shylock refuses three thousand ducats instead of Antonio's pound of flesh and asserts that he is legally in his right . Because Shylock is revengeful and hard-hearted man . What Shylock has made aches Gratiano's heart . Gratiano believes what the Greek Pythagoras has said . This Greek philosopher has said that whenever animals die , thei souls go to the human beings .

3) Shylock is the abused person to these words . He proves that he is a cunning , hard-hearted and revengeful person . He insists to take Antonio's pound of flesh and refuses three thousand ducats instead . He asserts that he is legally in his right .No one can change his mind and Gratiano is only tiring his tongue and lungs .

Shylock says :
" What judgment shall I dread , doing no wrong you have among you many a purchased slave , which , like your asses and your dogs and mules , you use in object and in slavish parts . Because you bought them shall I say to you , let them be free , marry them to your heirs ! "
Explain the passage in your own words mentioning what does Shylock mean by this ? What does he try to justify?

Shylock tries to justify his cruelty to take Antonio's proud of flesh and he says that most Christians have salves and they use them like dogs . If Shylock tells the Christians to give these slaves a good food , to free them or to marry them to their daughters , the Christians will refuse , saying

that they have bought them legally and they are theirs . In a like manner ,
Shylock feels justified in asking for his bond . He will give the same answer that he has bought Antonio's pound of flesh and it is his . There is no power in Venice that can change his mind and prevent him from taking his pound of Antonio's flesh .

What is the dramatic significance of the last Act in Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice ?

This act is considered as a relaxed act after the conflict between Shylock and Antonio ends . This act is a comic one that has relieved the tragic somber atmosphere of the previous act when Shylock is sharpening his knife to kill Antonio . This act reveals that romance and nobility have triumphed , greed and hatred have been banished . The happiness and joy of Antonio and the three couples , Jessica and Lorenzo , Portia and Bassanio , Nerissa and Gratiano , is completed in this act .

In this act , the mystery of the rings and the identities of the young lawyer and his clerk are revealed . Portia hands Antonio a letter that explains the whole disguise and the story of how she was the lawyer and Nerissa the clerk at the court at Venice .

In this act , Portia tells Antonio that three of his ships have returned with their cargo . Nerissa then gives Lorenzo Shylock's will , by which all of Shylock's property will be inherited bu Lorenzo and Jessica upon his death . The last act of this play is the only chance that tells us about Jessica and Lorenzo's escape . It shows the romantic life that tey share and how happy they are .

[COLOR="#FF3300"][FRAME="2 70"]
" Shylock was more sinned than sinning " Discuss this with the references to Shylock character and punishment ./COLOR]

It is wrong to say that Shylock is more sinned than sinning as it indicates that his punishment is more than the crime he committed . What is correct to say is that Shylock is sinning more than sinned because the punishment that he receives is less than what he deserves . Shylock intends to kill Antonio directly if he is given the proper chance . The Venetian law says that if an alien plots to take a Venetian life by direct or indirect attempts , half his goods will be given to the citizen while the other half to the state . Moreover the life of this alien is at the mercy of the Duke who becomes the first picture of mercy and forgives Shylock for his life . To show Shylock the difference between Jews and Christians and to save Shylock damnation , Antonio asks the Duke to allow Shylock to keep half of his property that will go to Antonio if he becomes a Christian and leaves all his goods to Lorenzo and Jessica over his death .

Shylock is not forced to do anything and he has to decide which choice suits him . Shylock agrees to change his religion as he loves money more than his religion or anything else but at the same time he loves revenge more than both . The punishment that Shylock receives is less than what he deserves .

With my best wishes:
Sham3at 2mal

http://images.google.jo/images?hl=ar&source=hp&q=the+merchant+of+venice&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=the+merchant

M.o_o.N
07-02-2010, 05:22 PM
شمعة أمل

Alsalam 3alikum dear sister , this particular play is one of the best plays I ever studied . It share some ideas with the Jew of Malta, Mrs. Amal who was also from Jordan , explained them both in a very great way.

Thanks my dear for sharing us your creativity , Allah may bless you and protect you.

شمعة أمل 1988
08-02-2010, 12:53 AM
السلااااااام عليكم
أشكر جهودكم جميعا في إفادة الجميع وهدا أقل شيء يمكن أن أقدمه

البايز
14-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Great job ...

I lov it .

...thanks