المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : القراءة الحرة والتعلم الذاتي

N teacher
03-03-2010, 01:24 AM
What is Extensive Reading? And Why should you try it?

Extensive Reading is the free reading of books and other written material that is not too difficult nor too easy! Extensive Reading is sometimes called Free Voluntary Reading.
Why use it? ESL students always want to learn more words, acquire more grammatical structures and be better readers and writers. Doing extensive reading will help students with all of the above, along with motivating them to enjoy reading and learning independently.

Changing Your Own Thinking about Reading
Why ER is different than anything else!

For a successful ER program, a teacher really has to reconsider their own attitudes toward teaching reading. ER is truly student-centered. Students select their own material, read on their own time, choose their own new words to learn, and do this all without the fear of tests and examinations!

So what should students be reading? Anything and everything. Novels, simplified readers, magazines, newspapers, and internet news articles are all appropriate for extensive reading. Let the students pick what they want and read about topics that they like.
Activities for Extensive Readers

What to do before, during, and after reading.

Students doing extensive reading should be reading independently and without fear of a big examination or test. Half of the goal of a successful ER program is that students learn to enjoy reading! They also should be allowed to move at their own pace and encouraged to read as much as they can. But most teachers will still need to find ways to evaluate student performance.

Alternative assessments are the best way to judge how much your students are getting out of their ER materials. Informal assessments such as a simple conversation about the book can be a good place to start. But if you have larger classes and time constraints prevent you from meeting with each student individually, you can turn to written evaluations like book letters or book reviews. Try having students pair up and discuss their respective books or articles. Have them work on a compare and contrast of the books' plots or characters. Students can also make brief presentations to the class about their books and what they think of the book as they read and after they finish.

Younger students may enjoy art projects that incorporate the stories they just read. Have them draw pictures of a favorite character or story board an important plot point.

Reinforcing vocabulary is key to successful extensive reading programs. Have students start a personal dictionary of the new words they encounter in the book. Students can find other articles with these words using a search engine and increase their own retention. Then they can practice using the words correctly in sentences or short stories of their own.

Adapt these activities to the level and age of your students. Model for students with you own readings. I make a point to take one of the books I am currently reading into my ESL classrooms and give a book talk just like the students do, or I pull out a vocabulary word that might be new to them and share on the board just as I would have them share. It really does help them to know that their teachers still enjoy reading and can learn something from a new book.

What are the characteristics of successful ER programmes? The following characteristics are generally thought to be among the most important (Campbell, 1989; Davis, 1995; Day and Bamford, 1997; Fielding & Roller, 1992; Gambrell, 1979; Hill, 1997; Hsui, 1994; Jacobs, Davis and Renandya, 1997; Kim & Krashen, 1997; Nash & Yun-Pi; Park & Turn, 1987; Raja, 1995; Waring, 1997; Yu, 1993):
1. Students read large amounts of printed material;
2. Students choose what they want to read;
3. Students read a variety of materials in terms of topic and genre;
4. The material students read is within their level of comprehension;
5. Students take part in post-reading activities;
6. Teachers read with their students, thus serving as role models of good readers;
7. Teachers and students keep track of student progress;
8. Teachers provide help and guidance where needed.

Petunia
03-03-2010, 01:40 AM
really sis i appreciate your contributions

yea you are right somestimes students don't understand or

got some reading material that means they often find it

difficult to got ideas when i face sush these problems i try to

understand the meaning from the context and i find it very

useful to follow this method

but you can say studens have to develop thier reading skill by reading more to gain their knowledge and depend on Themselves to get more vocabularies

may Allah bless you sister

very important topic to talk about

M.o_o.N
03-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Thank you dear teacher for posting this topic, I think that English course in the school isnt enough nowadays , students should extend their minds and their studies to improve their language ,by reading or chatting or even watching good stuff that helps them , Tv these days doesnt help that much and reading is the best way ever. That what I think at least. Again thanks huny.

سعودي انجلش
03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
thanks
well done

البـارع
04-03-2010, 04:14 AM
N teacher (https://saudienglish.net/vb/member.php?u=80521)

thanks a lot our teacher
well done

BloumagrieT
04-03-2010, 08:48 AM
N teacher

May Allah reward all your efforts

Beneficial and useful

Thank you dearest

http://dl7.glitter-graphics.net/pub/933/933887g5pcxn5673.gif

The tolerant
04-03-2010, 12:11 PM
thanks my dear sis

my hurt
05-03-2010, 10:37 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4952/16mr1it31mj2bq4cj4.gif

Thank you soooo much

N teacher
06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
pink pen

thanx 4 ur comment

N teacher
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
renoa

thank u sweety

اميرة بطلتي
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
بصراحة اناقريتة اللي كتبتة بس مشكلتي مشكلة انا مخلصة الثانوية وادرس لغة انجليزية في السفارة البريطانية وتوني مبتدئة مااعرف اركب الجمل اذابسال المدرسة ارجو مساعدتك وجزاك اللة الف خير

N teacher
29-03-2010, 07:35 PM
saudi english

thanks bro

N teacher
29-03-2010, 07:37 PM
البارع

thanks 4 ur passing

جاكوار2
30-03-2010, 10:44 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4952/16mr1it31mj2bq4cj4.gif

@asma@