*Write a critical apprecation of any poem written by any one the poets

-"Rape of the Lock" by Alexander Pope

-"The Solitary Reaper" by Wordsworth

-"My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning

-"Break,Break,Break" by Alfred Tennyson

:smile (16):

Northie
03-06-2010, 10:05 PM
The Solitary Reaper is a delightful lyric by William Wordsworth. Wordsworth is known as a great lover and preacher of nature. He impresses us by the imaginative and philosophical quality of his thoughts

This poem is a result of his visit to Scotland where he came across a lovely maiden in the fields all alone. Her lovely person and her sweet song

had a deep impression on the poet and moved him to compose these verses. The lovely singer appeared to be a part of that beautiful scene of nature

A highland girl was reaping grain in the field and singing a song at the same time. The poet did not understand the contents of the song as it was in a foreign language

. He guessed that it was the tale of old and tragic events of the past. It could also be an account of some recent calamity or mishap. Whatever the theme of the song, it was sung in a beautiful, rich voice. The song seemed to be endless. The poet was bewitched by the thrilling notes of the lonely reaper. The whole valley was ringing with her silvery sound. Even the spring bird Cuckoo could not produce such a magical effect as the maiden's song cost on the poet
The poet stood still and listened to that golden voice for some time. After words, when he was climbing the hill he could not hear that song any longer. But he was still feeling the sweet vibrations of that music in his heart. The sweet memory of that song had become a permanent source of joy

Also on The Solitary Reaper
The Solitary Reaper is a classic example of a poem from the romantic era written by William Wordsworth. It’s about how a man, most probably Wordsworth is affected by a song being sung by this woman. The song of the young girl reaping in the fields is incomprehensible to him a "Highland lass," she is likely singing in Scots, and what he appreciates is its tone, its expressive beauty, and the mood it creates within him, rather than its explicit content, at which he can only guess

Already from the beginning we can see patterns which are common to the romantic poets such as the title. “ The Solitary Reaper” The romanticists usually focus on the individual itself furthermore it is common for the poems to be about one person alone in this instance the person is “Solitary…” The author further emphasizes the fact that she is alone in the first stanza “Behold her, single…” and “…singing by herself” All through the poem we never find out who this person who is singing actually is, the author doesn’t tells us anything about her this might be because this bares little importance

In addition we also see this idea of the poet being an individual in the last stanza when he says “I listen’d till I had my fill” He is using the first person of the singular which conveys the idea that the poet himself is the person listening to the song. The woman is perceived to be as one with nature through both the singing and the working. “Alone she cuts and binds the grain And sings a melancholy strain…” It seems as if she is in harmony with the nature which again is common throughout the romantics as they sought wilderness and nature to be very important. At the end of the first stanza we can see Wordsworth describing the sound as if it were a liquid “Is overflowing with the sound.” this is repeated again in the last stanza “…till I had my fill.” The song is portrayed to be a liquid which is filling up both the valley where it is being sung and the poet himself like a container that needs to be filled up

Wordsworth makes several references to various historical locations and events some
including "Travellers...Among Arabian Sands," "battles long ago," and "the silence of the seas among the farthest Hebrides." The girl's act of reaping and cultivating the land links the past with the future the land that supported her elders will continue to support the future land inhabitants

The author chooses to describe the sweetness of the song by comparing it to the singing of birds. “No Nightingale did ever chaunt…” and “…from the cuckoo-bird” The fact that he chooses to compare the singing of the lady to the singing of birds demonstrates how he feels about the song and how he thinks its beautiful. More over Wordsworth gives instructions throughout the first stanza. “Stop here” “gently pass” “O listen” In a way this shows the poets lack of contact with the woman and the fact that he does not want her to stop singing. The author also refers to different times, the past “And battles long ago.” and the present “Familiar matter of to-day?” We can see this in the third stanza which is based around time, he’s trying to figure out what the song is about and doesn’t know if its about the past or the present

The poem's structure is simple--the first stanza sets the scene, the second offers two bird comparisons for the music, the third wonders about the content of the songs, and the fourth describes the effect of the songs on the speaker

Northie
03-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Alexander's poem, "The Rape of the Lock," is the finest example of the mock-epic ever written. It is written in glorious Heroic Couplets, rhymed pairs of iambic pentameter. But Pope is a master poet, so he is not restricted by his verse-form. He varies his rhythmic pattern slightly to keep it from getting monotonous. His grammatical structure is resonant, developing parallel structures. But this parallelism also affects his comparisons. In terms of just mechanics, the poem is worthy of praise, but its real fun is in the way it skewers the pretensions of the poet, the vanity and uselessness of 18th century upper-class loons
Here's the story of this mighty epic. At a party, a baron snips off a little piece of Belinda's hair. Belinda has a tantrum. Clarissa, who had some part in the prank, tries to talk her into being calm and forgetting about it. Belinda, instead, begins a fight. the men and women at the party get into it. The lock of hair is lost

That such a silly and inconsequential event is magnified into an epic struggle between angelic forces is the very height of satire. Pope employs an angel named Ariel to warn Belinda, and to assist her. An evil imp, a gnome, named Umbriel supernaturally causes Belinda to lose her temper. The angels carry the lost lock of hair into heaven to place it there as a constellation. A simple game of cards becomes a heady martial contest equivalent to the jousts of King Arthur's court, with all the panoply and glory
Pope's poem is a delightful romp through elevating the silly in order to make it even more silly

Another Analysis

When looking in depth at this poem, all I can say is, "Thank God for the Romantics, Keats and Wordsworth et al. And even more gratitude is due to Langston Hughes, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman." If I had been given the task to study this poem at any time in my educational career, I might have lost the will to live, or at the very least, dropped out and gone to India to join an assram. Alexander Pope (1688-1744) may have been a great satirical writer, but this poem sure takes a long time to tell a simple tale, or for me, to raise a ghost of a smile
On and on it went, and though it was the result of a request to make a joke of some rather unacceptable behaviour, it is very tedious. Of course, for the scholars out there, it is full of classical allusions, allegory, bathos and metaphor, rhyming couplets and - total verbosity. This "mock epic" was described by Pope as "An Heroic Comical Poem." He certainly made it an epic

Once you have ploughed through the many, no doubt excellent, poetic devices of the work, the bottom line, in my opinion, is as follows: Some young guy got rather bold and cut off a curl from an uppity young woman's coiffure. Oh no! She was devasted, affronted, how dare he? We have her in dream state, with a Sylph spirit chap watching over her; she had Betty the maid; she went on her travels, so we get a geography lesson thrown in and come to know the river Thames. Not forgetting a bit of sun worship. She ends up in London, and by the end of this wordy epic, I am really none the wiser. I believe that silly Belinda, who lost the lock, was a real drama queen. After reading to the end, I have pitched my Norton Anthology out of the window and stunned a passer by

All these personal reactions mean that Pope has succeeded in meeting his goal of satirical excellence. The very length of the poem makes Belinda and her missing curl, her over the top reaction, an object of ridicule, a true figure of satirical fun. The poet was self taught in the classics, his Catholicism preventing entrance to university. But oh my, does he enjoy showing off his knowledge in this one

I love poetry. I want it to touch me in the heart, to enrich my life experiences. This poem hurts my brain too much. But let me be brutally honest with myself. Perhaps, with the comic epic here, the nonsense, the extravagant descriptions, the over the top treatment of a simple prank, Pope has succeed in eliciting an emotional response, the purpose of all good poetry, to my way of thinking. It is a negative response, true, but an emotional one, nevertheless. I think Belinda needed to get things in perspective, or maybe see a good hairdresser. Now, where did I put my scissors, and can I have my Norton back

M.o_o.N
03-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Northie

الله يبارك فيك أخوي

Northie
03-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Northie

الله يبارك فيك أخوي

وفيك أخت مون :)

My Last Duchess Analysis

Dramatic monologue according to x A literary work which consist of a revealing one-way conversation by a character or person, usually directed to a second person or to an imaginary audience. It typically involves a critical moment of a specific situation with the speaker’s words unintentionally providing a revelation of his character which makes some problematic of irony. “My last Duchess” by Robert Browning show’s that it’s a monologue since there is only one speaker. We see that it’s specifically a dramatic monologue when we start reading between the lines. We see that he unintentionally reveals that he murdered his last duchess. While the Duke is trying to make himself look favourable, he actually shows the opposite which is very Ironic

The author uses a wise choice of words to demonstrate the reader a sense of ownership that she only belongs to him. We encounter this in line 1; “That’s my last duchess painted on the wall.” The first five lines reveal that the duke’s wife is a beauty prize who could not be reproduced by paint and the duke takes pride over his possession. Robert Browning mentions the artist of who painted his last duchess showing the importance of his effort. A line 6-8 as well as lines 15-20 describe the uniqueness and facial expressions of the duchess, and let the reader know that only he knows her for who she was and what she looked like to him

“She had/A heart how shall I say? Too soon made glad, / too easily impressed; she liked whate’er/she looked on, and her looks went everywhere. / Sir, ‘twas all one! My favor at her breast,/ The dripping of the daylight in the West,/ The bough of cherries some officious fool/ Broke in the orchard for her, the white mule. She roe with round the terrace all and each/ Would draw from her alike the approving speech,/Or brush, at least.” (Lines 21-31) tells the reader that the duchess enjoyed the simplest aspects of life such as sundown, cherries and riding her white mule. She had nothing so the tiniest things given to her made her happy. These lines also portray that he is jealous

cute bero
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
الله يبارك فيكم
مشكورين يالغاليين