05-06-2010, 07:44 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمه الله

اريد تحليل لهذه القصيده

satire against reason mankind

by John Wilmot

M.o_o.N
05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
A Satyr Against Reason and Mankind

In A Satyr against Reason and Mankind, John Wilmot describes his feelings against mankind through a satirical poem. His main point is a simple one. In a joking clearly facetious manner describes to the reader how he would rather be an animal than a human. Though he uses such strong language, the reader is to understand that Wilmot is not serious in his analogy, rather, it is the underlying principle he is trying to get across. Wilmot writes: “What case of flesh and blood I pleased to wear, I’d be a dog, monkey, or a bear, Or anything but the vain animal who is so proud of being rational.” In this selection, he is seemingly saying he’d rather be an animal than a human. However, we are expected to understand, that what he is really saying is, not that he wants to be an animal. Rather that he is comparing humans to being animals, but call us, “the vain animal who is so proud of being rational.” Wilmot’s main point comes midway through his piece when he writes: “And ‘tis this very reason I despise: This supernatural gift, that makes mite Think he’s the image of the infinite”.

Man is distinguished from other animals by his imaginative gifts. He makes plans, inventions, new discoveries, by putting different talents together.” “Talents”, the word used by Bronowski here is a brilliant one. He is showing how we are different from animals because we do have the ability to think and reason. But as opposed to Wilmot who says that this is our downfall, Bronowski calls it our “talents.” It is within our ability and therefore, according to some, actually our responsibility to share our talents with the world. Throughout his essay Bronowski uses words such as “talents” and “gifts” to describe mans ability. This is his whole outlook. Even in the title of his piece, The Ascent of man, the word “ascent” is used, according to the author, “with a precise meaning.” In other words, this word is to be taken literally. As Bronowski writes in closing, “Man ascends by discovering the fullness of his gifts.

هذا الشئ الوحيد اللي حصلته واضح للقصيدة :)