المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : terms of syntax 2

سناء احمد
09-11-2010, 10:26 PM
government [/U
]a structural relationship between a head and its complement. Government is a necessary condition for case-assignment.
Government and Binding Theory (GB) a version of Noam Chomsky's universal grammar according to which linguistic expressions, though infinite in number, can be generated with the help of a restricted number of rules. Grammatical expressions are the result of several interacting modules within this system.
gradable adjective an adjective that has comparative and superlative forms, e.g.
nice/nicer/nicest.[/COLOR
][U]head
a word level or zero level category. It projects its properties to the phrase (XP) via the X', so that the category of X is the same as X' and XP. The head defines the properties of the phrase. Heads also impose restrictions on the type of the complement that can follow them.
Head Movement Constraint (HMC) a head must move to the
[COLOR="lime"] next head position.
headless relative a relative clause that does not appear to be a modifier inside a nominal phrase as it appears without a noun, however it can be argued to function as such, like in
I spoke to [whoever I met].
heavy DP-shift when the DP is particularly long and complicated, it may undergo

extraposition: You can post today [all the letters you have written in the past five days]./*You can post today them.
immediate constituent the immediate constituent of
a node is the node that is lower than the given constituent and is connected to it by a single branch. It is the constituent directly below the node it is the immediate constituent of.[/COLOR
]implicit argument an argument that is not present in the syntactic structure but understood. In the sentence
[COLOR="lime"] I am eating the transitive verb eating has no visible object, still, the sentence means that something is eaten.
indefinite determiner a determiner like
a or some turning a nominal expression into an indefinite DP.
inflectional phrase (IP) in traditional grammars the IP is a phrase headed by an inflectional element which can be a modal auxiliary
(e.g. may, should, will), infinitival to or the bound morphemes expressing tense ( ed, s) the latter undergoing Affix Lowering to form a unit with the verb. In the present approach, however, it has been argued that the head position of the IP contains only the modal auxiliaries and the (in English) invisible agreement morpheme, information about Tense can be found in an independent vP hosting infinitival to, and the bound morphemes -ed and -s also appear here. The specifier position of an IP is occupied by the subject (see canonical subject position), the complement of an I is usually a VP or vP (but see small clauses for an exception). IPs are complements of CPs or ECM verbs.
intermediate projection the X-bar level projection connecting the zero-level (or word-level) projection X and the maximal (or phrase-level) projection XP.
I-to-C movement
the generative equivalent of the descriptive notion of subject–auxiliary inversion attested in questions like
[COLOR="lime"]‘Can you swim?’, where the auxiliary is assumed to move from the head position of IP to the head position of CP. [/COLOR
]light verb a verb occupying the head of a vP used in combination with another element, typically a noun or verb, where the light verb’s contribution to the meaning of the whole construction is less than that of a fully thematic main verb, e.g.
to take a shower=to shower. Certain verbs expressing aspectual (

be, have) or modal (let) meaning also belong here. According to the proposals in the present book the following constituents can appear within the vP in a visible or abstract form

THE_DEAD_ZONE
10-11-2010, 03:17 AM
الف شكراااا

Lolita 1
10-11-2010, 03:52 AM
جزاك الله الف خير

وجعلها الله في موازين حسناتك

بارك الله فيك

ماننحرم من جديدك

دمت ِ بحفظ الرحمن