المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : Five English mistakes that make people laugh :)

sponge bob
22-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Five English mistakes that make people laugh

No one learns a new language without making mistakes. And while we'd all prefer to dodge

embarrassing errors, they're hard to avoid entirely. So be prepared to giggle along every

once in a while! Here are some slip-ups that will surely get a smile from listeners.

I cooked my grandma

You're talking about your weekend and say, "My grandma visited and I cooked her." Of

course you didn't cook your grandmother! You cooked FOR her. Verbs can change their

meaning completely when they are followed by a preposition (e.g. find, find out; grow, grow

up, so be careful! Always use 'for' when you're talking about preparing a meal for someone.

Leave it out in reference to food, e.g. "I cooked spaghetti." Whatever you do, don't serve

Grandma Betty for dinner!

I went to hold up my sister at school.

Say this and your listeners will picture one of two things : either you prevented your sister

from falling down or you robbed her at gunpoint. Not likely! What you probably meant

was 'pick up', not 'hold up'. 'To pick up' means 'to take hold of'. But it also means 'to fetch

someone, usually by car. So if you don't want to make your sister mad, remember to pick

her up – not prop her up or rob her!

The chicken was crowded with people.

A chicken is an unusual place to hang out. Or did you mean 'kitchen'? Chicken and kitchen

are examples of English words that contain similar sounds – in this case, 'ch' and 'k'. While

those sounds are placed differently in each word, your tongue can easily trip over them. So

make sure you ask your friends to join you in the kitchen for some chicken and not the

other way around!

We asked our neighbors to eat the cat while we were on vacation.
Your neighbors might think you're very weird if you knock on their door and ask them to

snack on your pet cat. Your cat won't be too happy, either! But that's what would happen if

you mix up the verbs 'to eat' and 'to feed'. The first verb means 'to consume food', while the

second means 'to give food'. Big difference when it involves your pets!

!I'm so boring

Say this to your friend during a film and they'll probably give you a very strange look. Do

you mean that your personality is rather dull, or that you don't find the movie very

interesting? Many English learners make this mistake because they confuse present and

past participles (verb forms used as an adjective). You can say "The film is boring because it

is making me bored."

ريم82
26-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank u so much

طائر الجنائن
01-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks for you http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4222/14159515ue7.gif

اي نيد هلب
20-08-2012, 07:11 AM
جزيتي خيرا

Beauty
24-08-2012, 02:37 PM