16-03-2011, 12:23 AM
:smile (87):السلام عليكم.....
اخذنا قصيده قصيده
incident by countee
والدكتور يريد شرح للقصيده من خارج الكتاب
ارجواكم اللي يقدر يساعدني

:lost lady:
16-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Countée Cullen's poem clearly demonstrates the lingering damage that a single, vile word can inflict on a young mind.

Cullen’s poem, “Incident,” consists of three quatrains, each with the rime scheme, ABCB. An adult man is looking back at an “incident” that occurred when he was a mere child, eight years old.

While many people find it difficult to recall much of what happened to them at such an early age, and the same can be said of this speaker as he indicates in the poem, but the gravity of this occurrence has remained with him and blighted his remembrance of his visit to a major American city.

First Quatrain: “Once riding in old Baltimore
The opening stanza dramatizes the positive excitement the young child felt. However, at this point the speaker has not revealed that he was just a child of eight years. He describes his visit to Baltimore, where he is riding on some public transportation perhaps a city bus. His heart and head are both “filled with glee.”

He reports that while in this joyful frame of mind, he noticed that a Baltimore resident, or at least, he assumes that the “Baltimorean” was a resident, “Ke[pt] looking straight at me.” He likely began to wonder why this person was staring at him with noticeable interest.

Second Quatrain: “Now I was eight and very small
The speaker then describes the person, who was staring at him, as a kid about his own size and age: “Now I was eight and very small, / And he was no whit bigger.” The speaker, no doubt, then thought the kid might become his friend, since he had kept looking at the speaker with interest.

So the speaker “smiled” at the kid. But then the “incident” occurred: “[the Baltimore kid] poked out / His tongue, and called me, ‘Nigger.’” The poor visiting child’s hopes of a friendship were dashed with this horrid reaction from this ignorant Baltimorean.

Third Quatrain: “I saw the whole of Baltimore
The speaker finally reports that although he remained in Baltimore for the next eight months, from May to December, and had many experiences there, all he can now recall from that visit is the ugly face of the little bigot who poked out his tongue and called the speaker that deplorable epithet.

Commentary
This poem offers a valuable glimpse at very brief experience in the life of a human being at the beginning of his life, the beginning of his consciousness as a human being.

Poems are not usually celebrated for teaching lessons, but if one wanted to teach a lesson, this poem offers a useful one

and check this one
http://www.essays.cc/free_essays/e5/qmr164.shtml

GOoOD LUCk

المروج
17-03-2011, 06:36 PM
thanks a lot
may Allah bless you http://www5.0zz0.com/2007/12/07/20/61043092.gif