النتائج 1 إلى 4 من 4

الموضوع: If you saw someone standing by the road on a cold, rainy night, would you stop to help

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية ACME
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Sm121 If you saw someone standing by the road on a cold, rainy night, would you stop to help

^^^
    The Stranger
    by Sue Baugh
    Late one Saturday night, a young man was driving home on a deserted stretch of road. He could hear the rain beating against the roof of his car. His headlights cut through a cold mist that clung to the trees on either side of the road. In the flashes of lightning, tree branches seemed like ghostly hands grasping for his car. He could feel the steady drum roll of thunder. What a night to be out! He shivered and wished he were safe at home.
    Suddenly, as he rounded a curve, his headlights lit up a young woman standing by the side of the road. Her hair and white dress were soaked from the rain. She looked so alone. He couldn’t just leave her there.
    The young man skidded to a stop, then backed up until he could see her face in the window. He leaned over and opened the door.
    “Would you like a ride?”
    She nodded and he reached out his hand to help her into the car. He shivered at her touch – her hand was so cold!

She smiled at him and said, “Can you take me home? I only live a mile away.”
    Now that she was sitting beside him, he could see how beautiful she was. Dark hair framed her face, and her eyes seemed unusually large and sad.
    “Sure,” he said. “You must be freezing.” He took off his letter jacket and gave it to her.
    “I’m always cold,” she said, and held her hands up to the heater.
    He drove ahead, and glanced at her.
    “Why were you walking home?” he asked. “Did you have a fight with your boyfriend?”
    She didn’t answer. Instead she gazed out the window as they passed a school and a small church. He turned the corner onto a tree-lined street whose cheerful homes seemed warm and safe in the storm.
    She sat up. “There’s my house, the two story one on the corner.”
    He stopped the car next to the walk leading up to the house. He circled around to the passenger side and helped her out. Her hand still felt like ice. He walked her to the front door, wondering what it would be like to kiss her. They stood on the front porch for a moment, then suddenly she leaned over and kissed him! Before he could say anything, she stepped into the house and closed the door.
    He stood staring after her, too astonished to move. Then he turned and walked slowly back to his car. It wasn’t until he was behind the wheel that he remembered his letter jacket. She was still wearing it.
    He looked back at the house, but it was dark, and her parents were probably asleep. He didn’t want to wake them up and get her in trouble. Then he smiled. The jacket gave him the perfect excuse to see her again.
    The next morning he drove back to the house and rang the bell. An older woman answered the door. She had the same dark hair and sad eyes as the girl.
    “Excuse me, can I talk to your daughter?”
    “My daughter?” The woman’s eyes filled with tears. “Laura died a year ago last night, in a car accident. It happened about a mile from here.
    The young man gasped in disbelief. “But …but I gave her a ride home last night! I walked her to the door, right here. I saw her go inside the house.”
    The woman shook her head. “That can’t be. She died a year ago, young man.
    She’s buried in the church graveyard around the corner. Go see for yourself – she’s in the third row from the front.”
    The young man walked down the road to the church. He realized it was the same one they had driven past the night before. The small graveyard was behind the church. He found what he was looking for in the third row.
    A white marble headstone was inscribed with the name Laura. The date of death was exactly one year and one day ago. Then he saw something that chilled his blood. There beside the headstone was his letter jacket, neatly folded on the wet grass.

Silenceeeeeeeeeeeee

vvvv
    التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة ACME ; 10-02-2015 الساعة 11:14 PM

شخصية بارزة
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2012
    الدولة
    بجانب البحر حيث الهدوء الذي تصحبه الهيبة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: If you saw someone standing by the road on a cold, rainy night, would you stop to help

it's a little bit weird and scary
    the writer succeed in describing each moment in the story and in making you feel like you were inside the car with the young man and Laura
    for me I won't and never stop, it's so scary driving at the night in a strange road
    Thank you my teacher
    " أبي النائم في أحد القبور اسأل الله العظيم أن يجعلني احتضنك حضناً طويلاً دافئاً
    ينزع وحشة فراقك الموجعة عند باب الفردوس الأعلى يا أحد يا فرد يا صمد يا الله " .
    كفارة المجلس :
    " سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك ، اشهدُ أن لا إله إلا أنت ، استغفرك وأتوب إليك "

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية ACME
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: If you saw someone standing by the road on a cold, rainy night, would you stop to help

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة بحر الأماان مشاهدة المشاركة
    it's a little bit weird and scary
    the writer succeed in describing each moment in the story and in making you feel like you were inside the car with the young man and Laura
    for me I won't and never stop, it's so scary driving at the night in a strange road
    Thank you my teacher

I totally agree with you coz i had that feeling , too
    Niether would I stop coz no one knows what the road surprises will be
    Thank you so much for being here

English Club Supervisor الصورة الرمزية ● Ṡeяεиiτч . . ☆
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    Home
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

If he was a child or a woman I would stop and help them. No one can be outside at a very late time without a good reason. but if he was a man or as we call it here " a stranger". I would leave him some food and a blanket and then I will call the police to guide them to his place
    and rescue him
    thank you
    اللهم اجعلنا نتنفس الرضـــا حبا ...حتى يشعر القلب بالأرتياح

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. Would you read more about would ?
    بواسطة Dr_subahi في المنتدى منتدى اللغة الأنجليزية العام
    مشاركات: 3
    آخر مشاركة: 30-11-2010, 10:48 PM
  2. الفرق بين prefer و would prefer و would rather
    بواسطة ساعة صفا في المنتدى منتدى تعليم اللغة الانجليزية
    مشاركات: 4
    آخر مشاركة: 11-06-2010, 06:18 AM
  3. A brief Summary of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream A Midsummer Night’s DreamL
    بواسطة nosa sham في المنتدى Literature courses
    مشاركات: 1
    آخر مشاركة: 07-04-2009, 11:19 AM
  4. a rainy night
    بواسطة cage في المنتدى English Club
    مشاركات: 5
    آخر مشاركة: 14-11-2007, 06:04 PM

المفضلات

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات