الموضوع: our life & fast food

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Aug 2008
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Sm156 our life & fast food

Not so fast!

In recent years fast food restaurants have spread across the Kingdom’s major cities like wildfire. The food court of every mall houses at least four fast food chains. Our society has welcomed these quick meals at low prices. Burgers, fries, and a soda are now a regular part of the diet among teenagers and children.
    Unfortunately our acceptance of such foods comes at a high price: the deteriorating health of younger generations. The Nutrition Journal reported a study conducted at King Khalid University Hospital that showed the rate of obesity among children in Riyadh to be 18 percent. In another study in Jeddah data of overweight children between the ages of 10 and 20 years was collected in 1994 and again in 2000. The results showed a sharp increase in obesity among both girls and boys (Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal). The pattern of obesity coincides with the growing popularity of fast foods along with lack of exercise and snacking on junk foods.
    Were you aware that a typical fast food meal with a burger, fries, and cola contains 1,095 calories? If woman of average height, with a caloric requirement of 1,500 calories per day ate this meal, she would have to practically go hungry for the rest of the day to avoid weight gain. That leaves little room for fruits and vegetables and calcium rich foods that her bones so desperately need.
    Fast food meals are mainly starch, fat, and animal protein and are void of fiber, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. Fiber is essential for the smooth functioning of the digestive system and prevents chronic constipation that can lead to painful hemorrhoids. Recent studies have linked low fiber diets to increased incidence of colon cancer.
    The typical fast food meal is high in fat, cholesterol, salt, and chemical additives. Over consumption of fats puts you at greater risk for developing high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and cancer later in life.
    All fast food meals come with a soda. A regular sized soft drink contains the equivalent of seven teaspoons of sugar! Diets high in sugar are related to the increase of diabetes, obesity, and the alarming number of dental caries in children.
    Dr. Walid Chbeir, dentist at Al Maghraby Dental Clinic in Jeddah, says, “90 percent children who come to my office have dental caries and most of them have dental caries in all of their milk teeth.”
    When asked what caused such a high percentage of poor dental health in Jeddah, he replied, “It’s everything: lack of proper brushing, sweets, and sugar filled drinks.”
    The biggest health concern lies in the French fries, fried chicken nuggets, fried fish, fried shrimp, fried onion rings, and even fried falafel. To make enough profits, fast food chains choose cheap vegetable shortening for frying. Shortening contains trans fatty acids that are unnatural, chemically processed and can cause cancer and accelerate aging. Heating fats to extremely high temperatures for frying damages the structure of food and releases free radicals; thus doubling the presence of carcinogens in your food.
    Awareness is the key to changing eating habits of your family, relatives, community, and society at large. Don’t let this information dampen your fun when going out.
    There are plenty of delicious healthy alternatives to choose from when eating out:
    u Locally owned bakery shops at most malls make baked pies (mana’eesh) with spinach, cheese, labneh, zaatar or pizzas.
    u Lebanese cuisine has green salads, tabouleh, hummus (garbanzo bean dip), and grilled chicken breast.
    u At Chinese restaurants, order steamed rice, mixed vegetable chopsuey and tell them to use less oil, and avoid the fried spring rolls and fried noodles.
    uDig into the ever-popular Saudi dish of ‘tamees’ (freshly-made flat bread) with ‘foul’ (fava bean dip). Ask for olive oil in a separate container (because the foul is usually smothered with oil). Follow it up with green mint tea.
    u Italian grilled sandwiches of halloumi cheese with tomatoes and olives, or try labneh sandwich, mint leaves and zaatar.
    u Some Fish and Chips shops serve baked potato. Leave out the fried fish and French fries and order a baked potato instead. Choose low fat toppings like green onions, green pepper, corn, kidney beans, steamed broccoli, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
    They are tasty, filling and most importantly, non-carcinogenic and non-fattening
    يمنع وضع اكثر من صورة او صور نسائية او صور ذات حجم كبير
    يمنع وضع روابط لمواقع ومنتديات أخرى
    يمنع وضع روابط الاغاني
    يمنع وضع البريد الالكتروني

شخصية بارزة
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Apr 2007
    الدولة
    In saudi Arabia ,where Peace and Justice exist,In the kingdom of Humanity
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد : our life & fast food

Thanks .It's really an interesting topic which should be considered for our health.Yes ,you're right .Fast food is really harmful .Thanks for that huge effort .

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية أميرة بأخلاقها@
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Jan 2008
    الدولة
    Riyadh
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

useful topic

It is really horrible statistics we should take care of our food and make excercise to avoid harmful consequences

Thanks again

may Allah enlighten your life and protect you

انجليزي خبير الصورة الرمزية CHARLES DICKENS
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2005
    الدولة
    my hometown
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Oh boy
    !!!
    we're really threatened by Fast Food restaurants
    to be honest with you Dear Myth, I used to be one of those fast food addict people , until i realized that my weight is increasing ( uu oh ) then I quit
    (-:
    we as adult reading this great facts posted by you dearest , definitely are not going to be into Burger and Pizza stuff , the problem is kids !! how's gonna convince them.... !!
    I tried hard to enlighten my nephews but in vain
    /-:
    anyway , thanks alot for such topic ,,, I enjoyed reading each info
    Where flowers bloom .. So does Hope

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية BloumagrieT
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Nov 2004
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

The Myth

Thanks brother for this topic