الموضوع: William Shakespear's Julius Caesar

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2009
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

William Shakespear's Julius Caesar

Hello everyone!!

i would like to ask if you have any information about the gender issue in Julius Caesar , however, the following themes colud help us to dissuss it:

1. Domestic issue (the role of women )
    2. the private life and what is the brevitian
    3. the other side of the main characters personality
    4. the idea of space or the specific space issue between men and women
    5. idea of gendering : can we read as a private angle

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: William Shakespear's Julius Caesar

Hi Ola welcome to our club :)

I would love to discuss this topic but I have no idea about Julius Caeser .

If you need any help other members may help but my advice is that you can google it ^.^

Have a good day.

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Oct 2009
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Both women in the play, Calpurnia (Caesar's wife) and Portia (Brutus' wife) help to move the plot along. Calpurnia does this with her dream and her begging Caesar to stay at home instead of going to the Senate. She helps to bring forth the theme of superstition and the paranormal--seeing the future in dreams.

Portia represents a much stronger woman in my eyes. She tells Brutus that she is not just a woman, but his partner in all he does. She recognizes that he is troubled and begs him to share the trouble with her so that she could help him overcome it. She obviously loves Brutus, and she proves that she can take the seriousness of his man's problem by stabbing herself with a dagger in her thigh. Some critics draw attention to the blood she spills on herself as a dangerous and evil omen of what the future holds for her and her husband. Brutus dies by his own sword, and Portia swallows hot coals to bring on her death.

The women act as foils to their husbands, bringing out certain characteristics in the men for the audience that perhaps other characters would not be able to illiminate.

They are the confidants and support system for their husbands. But notice that the only two women mentioned in the entire play are the spouses of the two most important characters. Undoubtedly other women were involved historically, but Shakespeare only includes these two in order to reveal things about their husbands and to develop theme/plot.

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Oct 2009
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

In the play “Julius Caesar” by William Shakespeare, women play an important role. The women are important factors in foreshadowing and in the development of many of the characters. To look at the role of women in the play we must look deeper in to the roles of the only two women in the play; Calpurnia, wife of Caesar, and Portia, wife of Brutus. Both of these women are key in foreshadowing the murder of Caesar. After Caesar’s murder we do not hear much of either of them. The main thing Caesar’s wife, Calpurnia does in the play is tell Caesar to stay at home on the day of his murder because of many unnatural events that have taken place the night before and because she has had nightmares about his assassination. On the morning of the ides of march is the first time we meet Calpurnia, her entrance is act 2 scene one when she tells Caesar “You shall not stir out of your house today.” Caesar decides he shall “forth” until Calpurnia tells him why he shouldn’t go to the capitol today. Some of the reasons she included were: · A lioness “whelped” in the streets. · Graves opened and showed their dead people. · Warriors of fire fought on the clouds and drizzled blood upon the capitol. · Horses neighed and dead men groaned. · Ghosts shrieked in the streets. She than showed her discomfort with these things by saying ”O Caesar, these things are beyond all use, / and I do fear them.” Caesar says these are just as much to him as to the world in general, but Calpurnia insists that when beggars die nothing happens, but when princes die the heavens are ablaze. Caesar says that cowards die many times before their death and death will come when it will come. Then Caesar asked a servant what the augurers say about the subject and they say they found no heart within the beast. This is a simple act of showing how superstitious Caesar is sends him in to a rage and he decides he will go to the capitol. Then Calpurnia (the voice of reason) says “your wisdom is consumed in confidence” and tells him to tell them it is her fear and not his own that keeps him from the capitol. And Caesar grudgingly agrees. Then Decius Brutus comes in and ruins the whole thing by telling Caesar that her dream was telling how great he is and Decius manages to flatter Caesar enough that he decides to go to the capitol and he tells Calpurnia how foolish her dreams seem now and he leaves. Calpurnia, as we know was right the whole time and Caesar gets assassinated at the capitol. This scene was important in foreshadowing Caesar’s death and showing how overconfident Caesar is, and although Calpurnia’s warning was only one of many she seems to be the only warning with real impact, that is until Decius Brutus comes in to play. Portia, wife of Brutus has he her first appearance in act 2 scene 1, when she awakens to find Brutus very stressed out. She asked why and he said he is sick, she tells him that being outside will only make it worse. She tells him how concerned she is with his ways and kneels and tells him how faithful she had been. He tells he “kneel not gentle Portia.” And she replies, “I should not kneel if you were gentle Brutus” than she tells him that he should tell hr his troubles because she is his wife. She shows how strong willed she is by reminding him of how she stabbed herself in the leg and she says “can I bear that with patience / and not my husband’s secrets?” Brutus says “o ye gods / render me worthy of this noble wife!” Then he promises to tell her later on because someone knocks at the door. Then, in scene 4 of act 2 Portia sends Lucius to the senate to see how Brutus is doing, she is very nervous and she tells Lucius to just tell him she is well and see what he says in return. Then she meets the soothsayer and asks him about Caesar and if anything is planned against him and the soothsayer says yes but he doesn’t know what. She gets very agitated and says “ay how weak a thing / the heart of a woman is! That is the last we hear of Portia until act 4 scene 3, when Brutus tells Cassius that Portia has killed herself by “swallowing fire.” He tells Cassius that “no man bears better sorrow.” It is in this way that Portia develops Brutus’ character, Foreshadows the Assassination, and Shows the severity of the results of the assassination. Both of these two women show strong character and if they had been sucessful in convincing their husbnds not to go to the capitol that day there would be no story to tell. Without the women we would not get to know the main characters and their reasons for doing what they did. But they were not successful and that is only another twist in this tragic story. Word Count: 869

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2009
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

ياليت يكون فيه ترجمة باللغة العربية خاصة للى امثالنا وشكرا لكم

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2009
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

thanks alot of ur comment , now i want to contrast this ideas with our knowledge of the 19th century representation of gender roles in novels such as Pride and Prejudice or Great Expectations or Jane Eyre, and i think this comparation my help us to know if Shakespeare was more liberal or more conservative on his genders issues relevant nowadays??

thanks alot

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. The Tragedy of King Lear By William Shakespeare
    بواسطة ام بسمه في المنتدى Literature courses
    مشاركات: 18
    آخر مشاركة: 29-02-2012, 10:33 PM
  2. مسرحية شكسبير : يوليوس سيزار ,, Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
    بواسطة Try To Reach في المنتدى Literature courses
    مشاركات: 9
    آخر مشاركة: 29-01-2011, 11:00 AM
  3. Julius Caesar
    بواسطة ام بسمه في المنتدى Literature courses