النتائج 1 إلى 4 من 4

الموضوع: what does ((Humpty Dumpty language )) means???

انجليزي مشارك
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Awt20 what does ((Humpty Dumpty language )) means???

Whatever ...

”I DON’T KNOW what you mean by ‘glory,’” Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. “Of course you don’t — till I tell you. I meant, ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!’”

“But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument,’” Alice objected.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master — that’s all.”

This interesting bit of conversation from Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking Glass is a fascinating take on language and words. Wow! Humpty Dumpty could make a word mean whatever he wanted it to be. And this has given rise to a new expression — Humpty Dumpty language. It’s bit crazy, really, because it is an idiosyncratic or eccentric use of language. Here, the speaker decides the meaning of particular words. The words are similar to a Joker in a pack. It becomes whatever you want it to. Remember Jabberwocky, the strange poem by Lewis Carroll? There they are nonsensical words assuming the form of nouns, verbs, adjectives.... ’Twas brillig, and the slithy tovesDid gyre and gimble in the wabe.... Makes sense? Incidentally, Humpty Dumpty is one person, not two eggs as shown in some of the nursery rhyme books.

Camouflanguage is something similar to Humpty Dumpty language. It is a kind of language that uses jargon, euphemisms, and other devices to hide the true meaning of what is being said. It is used in the business world in the form of corporate doublespeak or business jargon. The objective behind it is to either state simple things in a complex and pompous manner or to say things the speaker doesn’t really mean. When a corporate head honcho says, “We are involved in outplacement”, it means he is firing a lot of people.

Does your mother complain that she doesn’t really understand a word when you speak with your friends? Well, that’s exactly what you want, don’t you — to exclude adults out of your conversation? That is why, many youngsters use antilanguage. Maybe it is not a conscious process, but most youngsters use a set of words which only they understand, and it becomes a kind of code language or antilanguage, which adults can’t fathom. The term is also used to describe a collection of words and phrases used to exclude outsiders from a particular group and to disguise the group’s activities. For example,
    the Mafia use what is known as Mobspeak. And well, the organised crime syndicate has many secrets to guard!

Code language is nothing new. Many ancient groups and societies use cryptolects. A cryptolect is a secret language. Nomads like gypsies have always used cryptolects.

Now have you heard of a pubilect? No marks for guessing that it is made up of two words — puberty + dialect. Yes, it is a dialect unique to teenagers. Now a poser. Was Humpty Dumpty a teenager?

By Pratibha Umashankar
    غدا نمضي كما جئنا وقد ننسى بريق الضوء والألوان .. وقد نهفو إلى زمن بلا عنوان .. وقد ننسى .. وقد ننسى. فلا يبقى لنا شيئا لنذكره مع النسيان فيكفي اننا يوما تمردنا على الأحزان .. ويكفي أننا يوما تلاقينا بلا استئذان ..

انجليزي فعال
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد : what does ((Humpty Dumpty language )) means???

:36_4_12: yes thanks jory
    thanks it's nice

انجليزي مشارك
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

thank you winter paper i apreciate your coming
    غدا نمضي كما جئنا وقد ننسى بريق الضوء والألوان .. وقد نهفو إلى زمن بلا عنوان .. وقد ننسى .. وقد ننسى. فلا يبقى لنا شيئا لنذكره مع النسيان فيكفي اننا يوما تمردنا على الأحزان .. ويكفي أننا يوما تلاقينا بلا استئذان ..

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية Aseel
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Oct 2004
    الدولة
    Saudi Arabia
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Jory

First , I would like to welcome you here among your brother and sisters

Welcome to our club

And thanks a million for the humpty dumpty language you shared with ud

looking forward to see more great topics from you

Please keep up

Best of luck

Aseel

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. How does our language shape the way we think
    بواسطة ام بسمه في المنتدى منتدى اللغة الأنجليزية العام
    مشاركات: 1